Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mr. Bill is from Houston, we have others. Look for classical, JasonHoustonTX. My boss is friends with Dr. Cool and they are honest people.

We have dealers that will tell people their compressor is shot when a simple capacitor change was all they need. Crooks are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Well if the compressor is really grounded, it's history.
    So back to my questions...what brands? And other things to look for in a good company?

I live in the Houston, TX area...The compressor went out....1900 sq ft...not sure what the SEER rating is on this one but will be looking at a rating of 13 or 14.
    Well, I have dealer sales price lists where they were selling condensers all the way up to 14-SEER by around 1998 or before.
    So your old one could be a 14-SEER...

I would get a second opinion from one of the Houstoinians that hangs out here
    We really need change now

Great video Udarrell! The only problem I have with it is that it makes no mention to the fact that many homes have HVAC equipment that are oversized and more than the current duct system can handle, and that air sealing the duct can make this problem worse. On the one hand, they say leaky ductwork can cause a 30% to 50% loss in efficiency, but they fail to mention that by air sealing the ducts (& the home) they can then replace their equipment with smaller sized equipment that would be better sized to match the existing ductwork. Some existing equipment is only functioning BECAUSE they have leaky ductwork. Sealing the ductwork will increase the static pressure, and that will cause problems in duct systems with oversized equipment.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Great video Udarrell! The only problem I have with it is that it makes no mention to the fact that many homes have HVAC equipment that are oversized and more than the current duct system can handle, and that air sealing the duct can make this problem worse.

On the one hand, they say leaky ductwork can cause a 30% to 50% loss in efficiency, but they fail to mention that by air sealing the ducts (& the home) they can then replace their equipment with smaller sized equipment that would be better sized to match the existing ductwork.

Some existing equipment is only functioning BECAUSE they have leaky ductwork. Sealing the ductwork will increase the static pressure, and that will cause problems in duct systems with oversized equipment.
    Right On Tips...

It is impossible to find a video that would cover all aspects the way we would cover them; but hopefully it might help folks get closer to what needs doing..,.

OP get a second opinion.

as to brands
    Lennox
    Trane
    Frigidaire
    York
    Ruud
    and on and on.
    keep in mind that major brands have a lower
    priced line also. for instance Trane/American Standard.

IF you need to replace ask for bids of both brands.

also ask for good better best bids.
    good would minimum efficiency 13 SEER
    better would be 15-17 SEER
    and best (not always best but higher efficiency) 18-20 SEER.

I find the best affordable dehumidification & efficiency to be 15-17 SEER.
    below that higher operating costs, above that longer payback with
    little benefit.

ductwork should always be evaluated and mastic sealed.
    load calc so that they don't put 400 sq ft per ton unit that
    will short cycle, not remove humidity and cost you more every
    month in utility costs.

nice link udarrel.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12