Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time having to replace a unit

I am a new homeowner, lived in my house for just over a year...the unit in my house is a York 3 ton R22 9 years old, it has gone out. I know that I have to switch to a R410A.

I have read older post that a lot of how to chose a unit is also mainly based on the person who is installing the unit. With that can any one give me just advice on the different brand of units, ie top ten brands and why.

Also if I feel strong about the company I have chosen, because of their BBB ratings, years of business, customer service, service plans...what are other important factors on picking a company?

Also I am in a pickle because of this being a holiday weekend, so is it fair to see what type of response I get when I call other companies on questions about different units, especially if they are closed and I have to wait until Tuesday?

Thanks

You don't have to switch to r410a. Although the cost for r22 is rising. The key is to repair the unit and ensure it is leak free at this point.

As far as choosing company....IMO (I am biased as a two man show) it is best to go with a smaller operation as that is usually where the true craftsman will be found.

Rather young unit. What has "gone out" about it specifically?

A 9yr old unit may not be done yet. Have somebody come look at it, it might just need a minor repair.

I am a new homeowner, lived in my house for just over a year...the unit in my house is a York 3 ton R22 9 years old, it has gone out. I know that I have to switch to a R410A.

I have read older post that a lot of how to chose a unit is also mainly based on the person who is installing the unit. With that can any one give me just advice on the different brand of units, ie top ten brands and why.

Also if I feel strong about the company I have chosen, because of their BBB ratings, years of business, customer service, service plans...what are other important factors on picking a company?

Also I am in a pickle because of this being a holiday weekend, so is it fair to see what type of response I get when I call other companies on questions about different units, especially if they are closed and I have to wait until Tuesday? Thanks
    A 2003 condenser should be either a 10 or 12-SEER unit.

Where do U live & what square footage is your home? So we get an idea of your situation.

First, I would definitely have a Home Energy Efficiency Audit performed that also evaluates duct leakage, so U know where all the problems exist.

Why Look at your Ducts (Leakage) when replacing your AC System:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV0Rwv5gco4

It is important for everyone to watch this video...

Darrell, do you know Reed Wilson with the Green Team?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I live in the Houston, TX area...The compressor went out....1900 sq ft...not sure what the SEER rating is on this one but will be looking at a rating of 13 or 14

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    A 2003 condenser should be either a 10 or 12-SEER unit.

Where do U live & what square footage is your home? So we get an idea of your situation.

First, I would definitely have a Home Energy Efficiency Audit performed that also evaluates duct leakage, so U know where all the problems exist.

Why Look at your Ducts (Leakage) when replacing your AC System:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV0Rwv5gco4

It is important for everyone to watch this video...

Quote Originally Posted by kayte View Post
    my house is a York 3 ton R22 9 years old, it has gone out. .
    kayte, what do you mean it's gone out? did the service co. condemn the compressor? gone out is pretty vague.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

9 years is pretty short lifespan for a compressor.

Replacement models are typically available for R-22 systems, but there are other considerations to take before deciding to replace.

Whichever direction that you go, I would want to know 100% for sure WHY that compressor died early.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Whichever direction that you go, I would want to know 100% for sure WHY that compressor died early.
    Hate to say this, she lives in Houston, if she called one of the big guys out, anything over 5 years old gets condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Hate to say this, she lives in Houston, if she called one of the big guys out, anything over 5 years old gets condemned.
    The paper work says the compresor is "grounded and olmeged (not sure if that word is correct, can't make out what other letters it could be) out is bad"

Quote Originally Posted by kayte View Post
    The paper work says the compressor is "grounded and olmeged (not sure if that word is correct, can't make out what other letters it could be) out is bad"
    Well if the compressor is really grounded, it's history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast