Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Another one I had to look up. This one looks like one I would be interested in. It's on my list for after I finish The Hunger Games series.
    It starts off rather slow, and is a harder than average read, especially the parts that take place in the alternate earth due to the vocabulary used. Not quite as hard of a read as Tolkien's The Silmarillion, but still above average.
    It isn't the kind of stuff you can just put your brain into neutral for, but is worth the extra thinking.

The Honor Harrington series you can totally shut down 4/5 of your brain for, and just be entertained.

If you liked early Koontz, you will most likely love Koontz now. He has refined the horror and now developes his characters really well.
    I like Koontz mystery/suspense stuff, but just have never been entertained by the horror genre, it just has never pulled me in, so have skipped all of that, and never read anything by Steven King.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

My mother did the proofread of one of Koontz first books something about a jet I believe, I read it and did not care for it. I have just never gotten into horror books or sci-fi stuff. When I was young JR. High I read every book in the library about world WWII. When I was in the Army I started reading Louis Lamour, Clavell and John Jakes.

I like books with History or historical themes. Trevanian books kind of run the gamut from spy to murder mysteries. If you like complex characters read Shibumi, I have read it at least fourteen times the only book I have read more times would be Shogun. Jeffery Archer's books are crime mysteries about the horsey set in the UK fun easy reads. Ken Follet is good I have not read all of his stuff but Pillars of Earth was great.

My wife loves the Patterson books the ones that follow the alphabet, OK but I never really got into them.

I'm a Stephen King fan as well. As others have said, Roland is probably one of his better characters. I'd love to sit down to a palaver with someone like him.

I thoroughly enjoyed the three Hunger Games books. I was quite disappointed with the movie, as usual.

Probably the most terrifiying fictional character for me (off topic) would be Pennywise the Clown from Stephen Kings "It".Name:  untitled.png
Views: 131
Size:  90.2 KB
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I used to read about three books a week so I cannot remember most of them, however there is one that I remember a little about. So to all of you Sci-Fi readers see if you can place this book, I think it may have been an Edgar Rice Burroughs All I can remember is it was about a frozen world where travel was by Ice Yachts ( you know wind sailers on skis) and there was something about Narwhales (Unicorn Whales) that move on top of the ice. Anyone recognize this?

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Nice Sci-Fi series. Favorite character is probably Perrin.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I used to read about three books a week so I cannot remember most of them, however there is one that I remember a little about. So to all of you Sci-Fi readers see if you can place this book, I think it may have been an Edgar Rice Burroughs All I can remember is it was about a frozen world where travel was by Ice Yachts ( you know wind sailers on skis) and there was something about Narwhales (Unicorn Whales) that move on top of the ice. Anyone recognize this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Nice Sci-Fi series. Favorite character is probably Perrin.
    Remember the ice yachts and Perrin... however do not remember the story-line. Read a LOT of Sci-Fi years ago... drifted towards other styles.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Thomas Covenant from Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is another good one.
    One of my favorites as well. Donaldson's one of the best fantasy writers and I love all of his books and short stories.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It starts off rather slow, and is a harder than average read, especially the parts that take place in the alternate earth due to the vocabulary used. Not quite as hard of a read as Tolkien's The Silmarillion, but still above average.
    It isn't the kind of stuff you can just put your brain into neutral for, but is worth the extra thinking.

The Honor Harrington series you can totally shut down 4/5 of your brain for, and just be entertained.

I like Koontz mystery/suspense stuff, but just have never been entertained by the horror genre, it just has never pulled me in, so have skipped all of that, and never read anything by Steven King.
    I actually enjoyed the Silmarillion. I consider it the bible for Middle Earth, and read it in the same vein that I study the Bible. No, I could not keep all of the characters and factions straight in my head any more than I can with Biblical characters and factions, but I still get the gist of the stories.

Some Stephen King bores me, some is mediocre and some is amazing. On the amazing end I would put The Stand and The Dark Tower. For entertaining sci-fi, I really liked The Tommyknockers and for the macabre, IT and The Shining are very good. Christine, The Dome and Pet Semetary were sort of just mediocre to me.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    I'm a Stephen King fan as well. As others have said, Roland is probably one of his better characters. I'd love to sit down to a palaver with someone like him.

I thoroughly enjoyed the three Hunger Games books. I was quite disappointed with the movie, as usual.

Probably the most terrifiying fictional character for me (off topic) would be Pennywise the Clown from Stephen Kings "It".Name:  untitled.png
Views: 131
Size:  90.2 KB
    I liked The Hunger Games movie, but I have not yet read any of the books. I am less critical when comparing movies to the books they are made from because it really isn't a fair comparison. Stephen King's IT was actually a better made for TV movie than the book was, and I agree that Pennywise is one of my worst nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Can't disagree with that series other than the author passing away before completion of the saga. Luckily the author finishing the series is at least keeping me interested in finishing the story, whenever that may be. He really knew how to leave a cliff hanger in the middle of the story.

I liked Lan Mandoragon as the most unlikable likable character in the series.

Some are mentioning horror, I remember an end of the world scenario by Robert R. McCammon (sp?) which I'm pretty sure that I read a few times. Large book for a paperback called Swan Song. Kept me up unable to put it down, its that good.

...Ron
    Last edited by rscamaro; 09-04-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
    Roof Rat

author lee child

Does anyone else out there have a favorite fictional character? I have decided that Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas is by far my favorite fictional character.

Personally, I feel I can get to know characters from books better than I can from movies, but either way, anyone else have a fictional character they really like?
    Jack Reacher
    B[COLOR=a friend is one who knows us , but loves us anyway

Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    Jack Reacher
    This is another one I had to look up. Sounds like someone that Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson could have portrayed back in their day.

I also liked Johnny fever from angel heart!!!!!!!!!!

but still voting for sky king and captain midnight!!!!!!!!

when i read all i can remember is numbers and dates!!!!!!!

if i had to pick a character from a book i read it would and only could be

curious george
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast