Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Favorite fictional character

Does anyone else out there have a favorite fictional character? I have decided that Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas is by far my favorite fictional character.

Personally, I feel I can get to know characters from books better than I can from movies, but either way, anyone else have a fictional character they really like?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Ah! Definitely in my top five. In fact, I would have to say that my top ten list would mostly be either Dean Koontz or Stephen King characters. I like characters by Clive Custler and other adventure writers, but Koontz and King seem to be able to make their characters very unique yet able to be related to.

I like the whole "post-apocalyptic cowboy" character.

King's characters are great. I'm not as much a fan of Koontz. I read a few of his books some years ago and didn't care for them.

What I liked most about Roland is that there is so much time for him to develop but, even after 8 books and multiple short stories, he still has his mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I like the whole "post-apocalyptic cowboy" character.

King's characters are great. I'm not as much a fan of Koontz. I read a few of his books some years ago and didn't care for them.

What I liked most about Roland is that there is so much time for him to develop but, even after 8 books and multiple short stories, he still has his mysteries.
    I hear a lot of people say they don't care for Koontz who like Stephen King. I have only begun reading Koontz books a few years ago, so I started out with his Frankenstein and Odd thomas series rather than his older, more violent stuff.

I don't care for everything that King writes, and I only really get into King's characters in longer stories where King has time to really develope those characters. Koontz really gets into the heads of his characters, at least in his more current stuff. It is almost disturbing how the reader is put directly into the mind of Koontz's characters, especially when they think in such bizarre and narcistic ways that you start to feel almost like you are eavesdropping on the thoughts of very strange thinking people.

Odd is definitely strange, but in a wholesome and always well meaning way. The best thing about Odd is when push comes to shove, he can always justify doing exactly the sort of thing he abhores. I cannot think of any actor who could pull off the Odd Thomas character if they ever do any movies of his character.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I forgot the Frankenstein series.

I did enjoy those books.

I'll look into the Odd Thomas books.
    Make sure you start with the first one; Odd Thomas. From there, you can follow any of the other ones ok, but it is still best to go in the order they were written because Odd developes in his character according to his encounters.

Dirk Pitt definately also Gordino.

The characters I like most would be Barnabas Sackett and Jubal Sackett.

Not a fan of Koontz or Kng

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Dirk Pitt definately also Gordino.

The characters I like most would be Barnabas Sackett and Jubal Sackett.

Not a fan of Koontz or Kng
    It's funny how our different tastes go. I don't much care for Louis L'Amour characters or stories. Dirk Pitt and Gordino are definitely cool characters, but they are no where near as in depth as some of Koontz's characters are. I'd even like to meet Koontz's Jocko character....on an empty stomach.

The thing about Louis is if he writes about it it is real, he has been there nd done most everything he writes about. If he talks about a cave in the Rockies he hs been to that cave. If he describes a fight he has been through those movements. He was left in the Mojave desert by his family when he was twelve and walked out, he was a middleweight boxer and a tank commander during WWII. I have read every book he has written many times some as many as fifteen times.

My favotite authors are Louis Lamour, Leon Uris, Trevanian, James Clavell, John Jakes, Ludlum, Archer, Clancy, Fredrick Forsythe others escape me at the moment.

Augustus "Gus" McCrae, from Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove"

I go for more fantasy and Sci-fi characters myself.

Ray Fiest has a character called Pug in quite a few books. He's a rags to riches character that surpasses all expectations.

Orson Scott Card has Ender in his (future) series and Alvin the Maker (alternate universe) series.

Bova, McCaffree, Eddings, Duncan, Heinlein, Hubbard, Bradbury, Azimov, Brooks, Weber, Goodkind, Stascheff, etc.,etc.

I have many favorite characters, generally one from each author or type of story.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast