Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Favorite fictional character

Does anyone else out there have a favorite fictional character? I have decided that Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas is by far my favorite fictional character.

Personally, I feel I can get to know characters from books better than I can from movies, but either way, anyone else have a fictional character they really like?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Ah! Definitely in my top five. In fact, I would have to say that my top ten list would mostly be either Dean Koontz or Stephen King characters. I like characters by Clive Custler and other adventure writers, but Koontz and King seem to be able to make their characters very unique yet able to be related to.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I'm familiar with Heinlein, Bradbury ans Asimov, but some of these I will have to look into. For sci-fi characters, I tend to like those in the future who cling to the past.
    Azimov Foundations series would probably be something you would be interested in then I think. There is also a few authors that put together a second foundation series that is very good.

I kind of get the feeling that there are a few members that like Militaria. Just to throw out some good reads for members who like future military stories...

Orson Scott Card has a number of Space Military stories that pretty much have to do with the same character but you won't know that unless you read most of them.

A Classic series is Hammer's Slammers by David Drake, Mostly giant hover tank battalions.

If Space Marines is your thing, then try the Starfist series by Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg.

David Weber wrote a Naval series that I coundn't put down until I read everyone that was out at the time.

...Stories that others might like...

Christopher Stasheff, Starship Troopers trilogy, about a troop of actors that are on the run from the authorities from every planet that they visit. Mostly amusing and a totally different plot than anything that you are likely to read.

Alan Dean Foster, Bunches and bunches of stand alone stories, all of them (+30) that I've read are well thought out and also make you think.

Most people probably will shy away from L. Ron Hubbard, but the original author actually was able to write a good story. The movie may not have been as good as I would have liked it, Battlefield Earth in book form (1,300 pages or so) is a page turner. He wrote another series of 10 books that were really good until about book 7 or so then it became pretty stale and I never finished it.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    Azimov Foundations series would probably be something you would be interested in then I think. There is also a few authors that put together a second foundation series that is very good.

I kind of get the feeling that there are a few members that like Militaria. Just to throw out some good reads for members who like future military stories...

Orson Scott Card has a number of Space Military stories that pretty much have to do with the same character but you won't know that unless you read most of them.

A Classic series is Hammer's Slammers by David Drake, Mostly giant hover tank battalions.

If Space Marines is your thing, then try the Starfist series by Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg.

David Weber wrote a Naval series that I coundn't put down until I read everyone that was out at the time.

...Stories that others might like...

Christopher Stasheff, Starship Troopers trilogy, about a troop of actors that are on the run from the authorities from every planet that they visit. Mostly amusing and a totally different plot than anything that you are likely to read.

Alan Dean Foster, Bunches and bunches of stand alone stories, all of them (+30) that I've read are well thought out and also make you think.

Most people probably will shy away from L. Ron Hubbard, but the original author actually was able to write a good story. The movie may not have been as good as I would have liked it, Battlefield Earth in book form (1,300 pages or so) is a page turner. He wrote another series of 10 books that were really good until about book 7 or so then it became pretty stale and I never finished it.

...Ron
    Nope, not much on military stories unless they have to do with alien bug menaces or ancient myth chasing. I like Asimov's robot stories, but I don't particularly find his characters any more extraordinary than average people performing above average feats. Characters such as Odd Thomas and Roland Deschain and even Christopher Farnsworth's Nathaniel Cade in Blood Oath are all such extraordinary characters, but with a lot of the same emotions that we so called normal folk have. Odd is a young fry cook who is just about the most polite young man anyone could ever imagine, especially for someone who has preminitions and communicates with dead people. Roland's life has been so damaged by outside forces it's a wonder he is able to stay sane. Roland does extraordinarily good deeds while at the same time allowing for others who fight with him to die off when he could have chosen to save them. Cade is...well...a reluctant vampire who sort of has to do good because of a curse put on him. These characters are all extremely complicated in ways that we may be able to relate to on some level, but can never experience on any level.

Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    The Honor Harrington series is what he is best known for, 13 books, with a 14th due next year.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The Honor Harrington series is what he is best known for, 13 books, with a 14th due next year.
    I was not familiar with Honor Harrington until I just read her fictional biography. She sounds like quite an intriging character.

I like the whole "post-apocalyptic cowboy" character.

King's characters are great. I'm not as much a fan of Koontz. I read a few of his books some years ago and didn't care for them.

What I liked most about Roland is that there is so much time for him to develop but, even after 8 books and multiple short stories, he still has his mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I like the whole "post-apocalyptic cowboy" character.

King's characters are great. I'm not as much a fan of Koontz. I read a few of his books some years ago and didn't care for them.

What I liked most about Roland is that there is so much time for him to develop but, even after 8 books and multiple short stories, he still has his mysteries.
    I hear a lot of people say they don't care for Koontz who like Stephen King. I have only begun reading Koontz books a few years ago, so I started out with his Frankenstein and Odd thomas series rather than his older, more violent stuff.

I don't care for everything that King writes, and I only really get into King's characters in longer stories where King has time to really develope those characters. Koontz really gets into the heads of his characters, at least in his more current stuff. It is almost disturbing how the reader is put directly into the mind of Koontz's characters, especially when they think in such bizarre and narcistic ways that you start to feel almost like you are eavesdropping on the thoughts of very strange thinking people.

Odd is definitely strange, but in a wholesome and always well meaning way. The best thing about Odd is when push comes to shove, he can always justify doing exactly the sort of thing he abhores. I cannot think of any actor who could pull off the Odd Thomas character if they ever do any movies of his character.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I forgot the Frankenstein series.

I did enjoy those books.

I'll look into the Odd Thomas books.
    Make sure you start with the first one; Odd Thomas. From there, you can follow any of the other ones ok, but it is still best to go in the order they were written because Odd developes in his character according to his encounters.

Dirk Pitt definately also Gordino.

The characters I like most would be Barnabas Sackett and Jubal Sackett.

Not a fan of Koontz or Kng

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast