Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rheem Criterion II-Insufficient Airflow

A new motor fan and control card has been installed in my Rheem Criterion II. The blower speed is much too low in all three modes (fan on, heat and cool). The contractor who did the repair tried many different settings in many different scenarios (Hi, Med High, Med Low, Low). High and medium high are barely there and low is almost no flow at all. The person doing the work was baffled. The contractor is coming back next week to try again to resolve the issue.

I want to be "literate" in this particular problem so that I can evaluate if the contractor is doing the right things to resolve the problem. If not, I'll have to go with someone else. In that case, I'd want to ask the right questions of the new candidate to know if they have any better chance of success.

I think I understand how things work pretty well. You would want to test if the right voltage is being supplied to the motor, you would want to check the run capacitor with the right diagnostic tool. Failing finding a root cause in either of those two things, what would be the logical next steps after that?

Thanks

Could be blocked or disconnected ductwork. Could be a blocked/dirty A-coil. The tech should also measure blower motor amps.

Motor spinning backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Motor spinning backwards?
    Makes sense, especially since a new motor was just installed.

Lost my post & didn't have it saved. Posted in error a prior post that was saved.
    ----------------------------------------------

First, the Tech has to determine whether it's an electrical problem or an air flow problem; like a blocked A-Coil.
    Last edited by udarrell; 09-02-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Lost the post I has ready, due to an update on my browser!

Im pretty sure its turning in the right direction....just very lethargically. Some air is coming up through the vents when on cool and heat. Not much though.

If running backward it will blow some but not much, as you are describing.

Heh...interesting. I just presumed that it would be sucking in air like a return vent does. I'll make sure that is checked too.

Coming back next week ! that would not be acceptable cant beleive he could not find the problem while there . Should have pulled the blower back out and looked through the heat exchanger at the evap coil as im believe it is a 80 percent furnace. Before the furnace quit blowing air was it working fine and then just quit
    We really need change now

Yes I was happy with how it was working. This same low airflow situation happened immediately after AC was added to the system in May. It took a while for the tech to resolve it, but eventually he did.

PS,., I did notice unusual vibration immediately before the failure.

Could be a bad blower wheel ,the hub may have spun loose
    We really need change now

So the contractor says nothing is wrong with the motor (all the tests as above have been performed.

The reason why we are having the problem is because the airflow is restricted by the A/C coil which was added in May in combination with the fact that the furnace is way oversized (125000btu). This leads to the overheat condition.

Clearly, I am in a bad spot here. What's the right way out of it?

I presume replacing the furnace with one that is properly sized is the only answer. How would this remedy the problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast