Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    Wow, you hit the nail on the head !

Some of the senior techs I work with have more patience than others. On my first day, I was trying to help a guy hang a piece of duct (trying to push it into the S drive) and I pushed the duct the wrong way and smacked the guy with it. (Not hard) and he told me "go stand over there", basically, go stand in the corner. On the upside, I learned what an S drive is, and its function in holding a duct together!

There ya' go

hurtinhvac, med gas is copper piping that is used in hospital and medical buildings. It is always brazed with rod and purged with nitrogen. I tested for the certification. They cut the pipe and fitting open and check to make sure the entire fitting is filled with the brazing alloy. I think it was 2 inch pipe we had to braze for our med gas cert.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post

I noticed propane everywhere in Florida - do you guys do more brazing with copper for gas lines than hard pipe? Hence the strict certs?
    Gas is usually stainless flex wrapped in yellow plastic (TracPipe), flared copper, or black iron. I've never seen brazed gas pipe. Med gas refers to oxygen piping ( and clean air, vacc, etc. ) in hospitals and med facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

im a fairly new tech to the refrigeration area and every so often i would pull out my sweg/flare kit and pratice with some scrap copper. now im working on making a little project with some real bends and such and braze them all with flares and swegs. kinda fun i hope my boss isnt reading this (-: wasting his gas and copper might not be good thing for the boss to know
    like the other guy said you gotta pratice to get good.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    Gas is usually stainless flex wrapped in yellow plastic (TracPipe), flared copper, or black iron. I've never seen brazed gas pipe. Med gas refers to oxygen piping ( and clean air, vacc, etc. ) in hospitals and med facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I see. I do come across the odd job where NG has been sweated in with copper. Last one used water grade copper as opposed to refrigeration.

Go to the education forum and do a search. There are some pretty good videos on soldering and brazing. Also some videos on yellow jacket website on the bender. Like it has been stated many times, Practice!
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if I am repeating anything . Bending - a little oil on the bender helps ,along with making sure that neither of the free ends and bind on anything to prevent them from moving freely .
    brazing - its all about temp control, you can only practice. Over heat it and you will be miserable, as soon as you get it hot enough to melt control the heat so it will flow almost the same as solder just more heat. Inverted,twisted and using a mirror well often be your most trying times along with the object being something that if you overheat you will have to replace it again .
    As said before practice is the only way you learn .

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't use a bender much, I hand bend, last job I needed a blender and like a true pro I didn't do a practice try and kinked the tube 6 feet in, luckily the line was way to long to begin with. When your new just stay off the phone and listen and they should be easy on you, when you don't know enuff to stay busy the worst thing to do is start texting, when I see that your done with me.

I don't use a bender much, I hand bend, last job I needed a blender and like a true pro I didn't do a practice try and kinked the tube 6 feet in, luckily the line was way to long to begin with. When your new just stay off the phone and listen and they should be easy on you, when you don't know enuff to stay busy the worst thing to do is start texting, when I see that your done with me.

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Go to the education forum and do a search. There are some pretty good videos on soldering and brazing. Also some videos on yellow jacket website on the bender. Like it has been stated many times, Practice!
    Thanks ! , I will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I am told to "stay busy", and I am getting better at it (now that I know better about what needs to be done). I am smart enough to know texting while working is a no no. The only thing I use my phone for at work is to map the next location we are going.

Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    I am told to "stay busy", and I am getting better at it (now that I know better about what needs to be done). I am smart enough to know texting while working is a no no. The only thing I use my phone for at work is to map the next location we are going.
    That's good some aren't that smart

That's a major challenge when you are new - knowing how the jobs flow to stay busy. Then the senior installers have to trust you enough to leave you alone. There should be more threads for new people on what various jobs entail...ie simple ac change outs, furnace change outs, complete systems, heat pumps, attic air handlers etc. What usually has to happen first down to cutting power, gas, recovering, tearing out the coil etc and in general what order it all should happen depending on what you are doing. Getting the lines brazed in first so you can have more pump time or while you go to lunch.

I am still a bit peeved to this day that I was left floundering despite repeatedly asking what can I do to help. It's one of the most horsesh!t things you can do to somebody who is truly there to work and learn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast