Thread: Standing pilot?

Standing pilot?

Do standing pilot direct vent NG fireplaces meet code or do you need electronic ignition for a new install?

Depends upon your local ordinances and governmental energy conservation boards. Approved by both major model gas codes. Where are you? Must be electronic in Calif. for example.

I am in ocean county NJ. I would like to install to my self, looking at napoleon gd36ntr. Comes in standing pilot and electronic ignition, after Sandy I would prefer to have a heat source not tied to electric utility.

I don't blame you. However, most IPI ignition systems have a provision for battery backup for igniting and operating the burner. You won't have the blower, which requires 110vac but it will still kick out a lot of radiant heat along with some passive convective heating.

When I took manometer reading of my ng pressure to check pipe size, I found 3.5 wci. The napoleon product manual is asking for 4.5, will this cause under firing? I purchased this home 15 years ago with a burnham boiler made in 1985. The utility company has serviced the boiler on multiple occasions and has never mentioned gas pressure as a problem.