Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question I need a Mercury Shut off Safety Switch

My Napoleon gas fireplace needs a Mercury Shut off Safety Switch. This fireplace is almost 18years old and I was told I need a whole new insert for about $$$$ The fireplace size is 37" by 33". Where can I get the safety switch and are there any alternatives so that I don't have to buy the new insert. I was told that the company doesn't make these switches any more. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Jeanette
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-01-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Pricing

I don't know much about the old fireplaces but sounds like its the mercury flame sensor. I know some fireplaces are real tough to find parts for. You may try a google search but like I said some of them can be a pain to get parts. You would need model and serial number also.

Removed pricing. Not permitted per site rules.

Also, moved thread to Fireplaces forum.

One of the gurus should be along shortly to help you out.

or a part number off of flame sensor usually where if it is a plug in on the head

There may be a gas valve upgrade also, that would get rid of the merc sensor, you can do it with a gas furnace.

You can contact your local Napoleon dealer but they will be very limited in helping you in this matter I'm sure. These switches are no longer used and existing stocks have been depleted. There may be the occasional stray one on Ebay perhaps but that's about it. As above, get the model, serial # and hopefully part # of the original. A few mfrs. do offer a conversion kit to a thermocouple flame proving system, which will generally require a whole new valve and pilot assy. Don't cut corners and cobble together something that 'works'.
    HTH

Thanks for this. I appreciate your help very much.
    Jeanette

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated.
    Jeanette

Yeah I second Hearthman. Talk to the Napoleon, most likely they offer a conversion kit, or know of someone who makes one. that will be your cheapest option(other than finding a mercury sensor)

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    There may be a gas valve upgrade also, that would get rid of the merc sensor, you can do it with a gas furnace.
    Right here. New valve. I work for a Napoleon dealer, they have none. Or so they say so someone will buy a new fireplace rather then replace valve.

I have a few mercs in my van but their all different and most likely not the same. We get rid of them when possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your note. My fireplace is an 1800. Do you have a mercury sensor for that? The fellow who cleans the fireplace said that there is a conversion kit but not for the 1800 type. Boy, if you can help it will save me lots of money!
    Jeanette

I don't know if you got my earlier message but here it is again. First, thanks for your note. The guy who cleans the fireplaces said there is no conversion kit for the 1800 style of gas fireplace. If you have a sensor that will work for that, I would be interested because it will save me a ton of money!
    Jeanette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast