+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you guys think of this..

Post Likes

What do you guys think of this..

I just started a new job in commercial work and was thinking about buying this to help me do my job faster and make my a little easier.

http://fieldpiece.com/standalone-instruments/st4

The Fieldpiece Dual-Temperature Meter, model ST4, measures two temperatures simultaneously using the included k-type, wrap tab beaded thermocouples. The technology inside the ST4 provides superior temperature compensation in rapidly changing environments commonly found while performing field service. Use the ST4 to find Delta T and just about any temperature split you want to measure. Displays T1, T2 and T1-T2 in big numbers on the LCD screen. Features two front face calibration pots and comes in our clear front case with magnetic hanger model ANC6. Use with our optional ATWB1 wet bulb thermocouple to help you find target superheat or with our pipe clamp T/Cs to check for blocked dryer filters.

Do you guys have this, and if so, what do you think about it?

In a nutshell, is it worth the money?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    Wrong forum. This belongs in the tools and test equipment forum. Maybe a moderator can move it.

Post Likes
    Moved to tools and test Equipment forum.

Post Likes
    I've been using mine for awhile....I like it. just be sure to calibrate your sensors to which ever port you're gonna use them on, and check them every few months or so.

I got the large and small clamps.....use the large for port 1 for SLT, and the small on port 2 for the LLT. After using it for a few months, i had to slightly adjust one port. seems to be pretty stable though. Last time I checked it (again a few months use) the temps were still good.

for the money, it's worth it.

Post Likes
    I love mine, use it all the time. I just wish it had a auto off feature at times, it is really easy to have it turn on in my toolbag my accident and kill the battery
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

Post Likes
    Would you guys buy this or a Cooper redbox?

Post Likes
    For reading K type thermocouples, I'd stick with Fluke 50 series thermometers, and Fluke pipe clamps.
    Unless something has changed recently, Fieldpiece doesn't have the filtering against interference from stray voltages that Fluke does, or as good of compensation for the temperature of the meter.

Of course, you can avoid both issues by going with a thermistor based instrument like the Cooper.
    If you go for the Cooper, skip the red box one and get the blue box temp/humidity one, SRH77A, or better, step up to the MFM300.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Would you guys buy this or a Cooper redbox?
    COOPER!!

Great tool, Awesome probes and pipe straps.. No calibration required. ALso they have been around for a long time. Proven in this industry by many good mechanics.. FWIW I own the blue box version. Honestly I dont use WB much anymore but if I need it I like to know its there..

Recently tho I use the straps that I have with my Cooper on my ak900's. Winning combination there I must say..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    COOPER!!

Great tool, Awesome probes and pipe straps.. No calibration required. ALso they have been around for a long time. Proven in this industry by many good mechanics.. FWIW I own the blue box version. Honestly I dont use WB much anymore but if I need it I like to know its there..

Recently tho I use the straps that I have with my Cooper on my ak900's. Winning combination there I must say..
    I agree, I've used the cooper box ever since I started doing this stuff. No complaints.

I have considered marrying the cooper probes to my 1250, I like the cooper pipe temp probe.

Post Likes
    Much as I love FP products, I have doubts on the temp testrs.

get tired of calibrating all the TEMP RECORDING pordUCTSs after a while.

BUT I STILL LOVE THE SMAN 3 AND CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SMAN 4

Post Likes
    Go with the blue box cooper and it will do RH and WB.

Post Likes
    the cooper is about 300, the fp is around 100, and easier to carry around
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

Post Likes
    You can buy a good used Cooper blue box on eBay or a little over 100. I bought mine for 125 and my black box sh66a for 40. Can't beat it IMO.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    You can buy a good used Cooper blue box on eBay or a little over 100. I bought mine for 125 and my black box sh66a for 40. Can't beat it IMO.
    I am always looking for good deals on used tools and I have never seen that. Do you know of a Link?

Post Likes
    Of course I open my mouth and there's no good ones on there. It took a good 3 weeks of searching every day to find the one i wanted that wasn't trashed. I just search for Cooper thermometer and see what I find.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in