Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
I would agree with jp but also I am concerned with you are being fed 230 and only getting 208. Yes it will run within those parameters but your amp draws will be higher.

Probably everyone here has been on the call that someone put a 230 volt only motor on and it would run for a while then trip the thermal overload. One person I wok with did it and paid dearly for it.
Normally true, but 208 vs 230 is most often an exception.

Many commercial buildings receiver their low voltage service form 208Y/120v service, either as single phase or all three phases depending on needs.

240v (which is expressed as 230, just like 120 expressed as 115) service is offered in residential or some commercial buildings, but that's power company's decision.

240v/120 high-leg delta exists, but it's less common. It's too much of a burden to have to offer 208v service and 240v service models, therefore 230v motors is assumed acceptable for 208 and 240v service. You shouldn't have to use a transformer. 208v is by far the more common service.

It's the same deal with single phase A/Cs. Houses usually get 120/240 from single phase transformers. Large apartment complexes usually get three phase service and feed two legs of service to each unit. This means 208v is available but not 240v.

To avoid having to make apt/office bldg models separate from house models they're rated to accept 208-230.

For larger stuff, power comes from 480Y/277v. Larger refrigeration runs on 3ph 480v. Lighting runs off of single phase 277v. You don't see 240/277v units, because there is no need for it like 208/240v model.

Running equipment on 20A circuit when it calls for >20.1A minimum is not code compliant, so if conductor size allows for it, you should have the breaker changed to next highest.