Thread: Wanting to instal mini split - need advice

Post Likes

Wanting to instal mini split - need advice

I'm wanting to install a mini split system in a basement apartment. There is one large room and two bedrooms. Large room is about 600 sq ft. Bedrooms 300 and 400 sq ft. I would like to just install one unit in the large room and hope it does the job. It is a basement apt. mostly underground and stays fairly cool in the summer and fairly warm in winter. Bedrooms have ceiling fans and baseboard heaters. There is a small vent from my upstairs system that blows down as well but I'm often out of town for months at a time and don't want the downstairs to be dependent on that. Don't have a lot of funds for the project so something with a good price is a high priority. Don't need bells and whistles. I live in KY so we have hot summers and cold winters. Any advice on reliable brands, appropriate sizing and do's and don'ts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Post Likes
    Is there a drop ceiling? A mini-duct unit could be mounted in the ceiling and could supply all 3 rooms.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gasguy View Post
    Is there a drop ceiling? A mini-duct unit could be mounted in the ceiling and could supply all 3 rooms.
    NO, the ceiling is 1 ft thick concrete which is why I can't get ductwork down there from upstairs.

Post Likes
    Also, I allready have a hole through the wall where a woodstove used to go. I would need the indoor unit to mount to the right side of the hole. Do all units have the wires etc. coming in to the right side (when facing the unit)? How difficult will that make it to mount to the right side of my hole?

Post Likes
    uniot can mount on either side of hole, for a basement 1 unit should do a decent job.

Post Likes
    Anybody out there have any experience with the Goodman mini split?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in