+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have any info on York Turbo Modulators?

Post Likes

Anyone have any info on York Turbo Modulators?

Hi guys, I got a call today on an old YT that has a Turbo Modulator on it. The machine goes through the startup and just as it starts to ramp up (at about 2 or 3 Hz) it trips out on OC. I suspect this isn't goinf to be good news, but I'm looking for any service manuals that may be availible. MN- YTM500-1047 PN- 031-00895-001

Post Likes
    Check for the literature at this site. See what comes up.
    http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.co...opframe.aspx&0

Post Likes
    by the way, it's a turbo modulator 2.. not 1

Post Likes
    Then, you may be doubly screwed. That VSD was made by Westinghouse and was really a "patch" between the original Turbo-Modulator and the present version. The most common failure of these drives were pole assemblies. Because they are air cooled and sometimes resided in equipment rooms ventilated with OSA, they suffered many failures due to high humidity and dirt. Can you see if the LEDs on all the poles are lit? That's the first sign of a problem. I know I have literature on that VSD, the trouble is it isn't digital. It was before York started digitizing their manuals.

I'll give my assessment. That drive has survived longer than any other I've ever heard of. I was replacing those with the new style over ten years ago. Not sure you can even get parts. Maybe some of the ex-York guys will chime in. I remember that a company down in Florida reconditioned the poles, but I don't remember their name. Let me see what I can find out on Tuesday.

Post Likes
    KnewYork- while I am not all that familiar with the components on this starter, I think I have the general idea of where they are. It looks to me that behind the right door is where the ac gets turn into dc and the left door is where the dc get turned back into the ac form effectivly making it the drive side. As far as LED's, behind the left side there are 6 green LED's- I assume those are what the ops manual calls GTO's. They are all on- at least in standby. The right door has two red led's that have OOL and LO- when it shuts down only the LO led is lit. As I said the start sequence goes at normal until the where (at least I think so) it gets off the 1 hz dwell and starts to ramp twards full speed. There is almost a groan that comes from the rectifier side (right door) then it locks out with the OC and 2min leds lighting on the logic board. After two mins expire, it starts going back through a time out (30mins) and will try to start again. I didn't see anything that looked cooked but you can tell this has been in use for a long time. It sucks for the client, but for me I would really like to know what actually failed on it so I can walk away from it with more of an understanding of the beast it is. Is the manual you have the 160.05-M1? Care to take a leap of faith and send it to me? I'll turn it into a pdf and send a copy of it along with the origional back to ya I did that to the ops manual the client had for the TM2. Really kind of blows how information is tought to get a hold of- though i do understand that this is quite an old item. Was there a TM3 or something? Or was it the optispeed that came next? Nevertheless, thanks for taking some time to read my post and reply.

Post Likes
    All my manuals are in my office. I'll be back there mid-morning tomorrow. Did you megger the motor? I have also seen theses VSDs fail and there wasn't anything wrong with the drive, but the motor was showing low meg readings. Once the motor was heated up, the meg readings came up and the drive worked as it should. You might want to check that avenue, making sure you megger between phases as well as to ground.

Post Likes
    You may be able to contact Baltimore Parts and order the info you need. I say this because they have emailed updated service lit to me upon request. Might be worth a try.

Post Likes
    Some times a motor failure causes several alarms in the drivers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller works
    Check for the literature at this site. See what comes up.
    I can almost guarantee you won't find any service literature forms on any JCI website.

Post Likes
    Yes, I did meg the motor- got good results. Also checked with my regular meter for good measure. Went through the leads after I removed them from the SCRs. On this chiller I can see the rotoer on the motor and when it goes as far as it does in the startup sequence, i can see the rotor start to trun, but shut down.

Post Likes
    Check your email. Also if you happen to have a small 460 VAC motor lying around you could wire it up to the vsd and see if it will turn that motor.

Post Likes
    Knew York, dind't get anything in email..at least not yet. Thanks for the help again.

Post Likes
    Sent another email (w/o attachments) to the email address listed in your profile.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in