dry r22 condenser

My early 90,s rheem 2 1/2 ton heat pump condenser unit died. I am looking into a dry r22 condenser replacement. I researched info on this subject and found some recommended using a condensing unit a half ton smaller to better match up with the air handler. Just like to get some more thoughts on this matter. Just trying to save some money in my old age. Thanks.

I sure wouldn't on a heat pump, even going 1/2 ton smaller. Coil match ups are so critical with heat pumps. You may end up having to have the refrigerant level changed when switching between heat & cool every year.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I sure wouldn't on a heat pump, even going 1/2 ton smaller. Coil match ups are so critical with heat pumps. You may end up having to have the refrigerant level changed when switching between heat & cool every year.
    not with a heat pump.

I'd really consider going to a matched 410a system.

I hope it was not the indoor unit that killed the outdoor unit. One thing to consider is many companys like to sell outdoor units because they are quick easy money and when things go south they are not willing to do what is needed to make it right.be very very leery of someone wanting to only do a outdoor unit
    We really need change now

Early 90's?
    I'd look at a full replacement.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler