Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chosing new Oil boiler

So i have narrowed my choices down somewhat. I am goin with an indirect HW with all of these choices, and an ODR. Im looking at the Buderus G115WS3, the Viessmann Vitorond 100 VR1-22, or the Burnahm MPO-IQ84. My only issue with the Buderus is the length might be an issue, so im leaning towards the Viessmann. And as far as burners....Riello has always had a great rep, but im hearing the becket NX series are excellent. Another consideration is quietness. Im not expecting it to be silent, but would like something tolerable. Would appreciate any feedback, and or suggestions.

EDIT...Also..what about the crown Freeport???

I like Buderus for cast iron boilers; they are highly resistant to thermal shock, but if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. IMO, if they are installed properly, you can't go wrong with any of the brands you listed.

I've always been intrigued by the Crown 3 pass Scotch Marine cast iron design, but I've never seen or used one in person. I think I remember specifying one once, but I got a Weil McLain submitted.

For indirect HW I like Triangle Tube Smart series. They make the Indirect water heaters for Weil McLain. Tank in tank design instead of coils, they have a lifetime warranty for residential use.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep them coming

If you run a 115/3 with a Beckett NX and add the outside air kit to it, it will run pretty quiet. Not nearly as quiet as a System 2000, but pretty quiet for an oil fired boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by R Mannino View Post
    If you run a 115/3 with a Beckett NX and add the outside air kit to it, it will run pretty quiet. Not nearly as quiet as a System 2000, but pretty quiet for an oil fired boiler.
    I'm venting into an existing chimney, can the outside air kit still be installed?

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    I'm venting into an existing chimney, can the outside air kit still be installed?
    Yes it can

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-02-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: non AOP member

dave72370

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Throwing another boiler into the mix. The slant fin eutectic ec13 with riello r3. Unit will come with the sf10 controls( basically odr). Got a very good price...but I haven't heard or seen ANY reviews. Any thoughts?

I don't have any experience with the Slant Fin, but I can tell you about the Buderus.

Name:  DSCF5394.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  46.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by R Mannino View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Slant Fin, but I can tell you about the Buderus.
    Wow, nice install! Do you know what the minimum front of boiler to back of boiler with vent can be on it is? That would make up my mind to probably go with the buderus.

Name:  DSCF5394.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  46.7 KB
    Wow, nice install! Do you know what the minimum front of boiler to back of boiler with vent can be on it is? That would make up my mind to probably go with the buderus.

Front to back on a G115/3 is about 45", that includes the whole thing, venting and burner. That doesn't include the clearance for the venting. How much space do you have front to back?

Name:  G115W-LT.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  127.1 KB

Wow! That's a long sucker. I only have 53" from the back wall to the back of an open door. Unfortunately I can't move the door. I might have to consider a conventional "old school" boiler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast