Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amer Std heat pump models

I received quotes from 2 contractors to install an American Standard heat pump at my home in Portland, OR. I thought I was comparing similar quotes until I noticed the model numbers. Does anyone know the difference between these models? Both would be paired with an A/S variable speed gas furnace.

4A6B4036E1000A
    4A6H5036E1000A

Thanks.

The 4A6B is the lower end model. Not much difference except usually sound deadening features. The B model is a "14 SEER" while the H model is a "15 SEER" though you would have to know the coil and furnace being quoted to really see how they are rated. They could be rather close in efficiency.

The B model would be paired with the following:
    Coil ADP CD5BXA042ADP
    Furnace ADD2B080ACV32A 80% 2 stage variable fan

The H model:
    Coil model was not given; quote just says matching high efficiency coil
    Furnace ADD2B080A9V3VA 80% variable speed fan

I'm more concerned with the HSPF ratings due to my location.

I would ask why they are not using a matching American Standard coil.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Unless the ADP coils are their new all aluminum coils, I wouldn't even consider using them.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I don't even see a CD5BXA042 coil listed in the ratings for A-S/Trane and ADP. In fact, that looks like and old Carrier model #, not an ADP

So ADP is the manufacturer of the coils? I thought it was part of the model number. I'll ask the contractors for clarification.

ADP is a brand. They make coils and blower units. They are a Lennox company. We use many but not on heat pumps. We always use the heat pump mfrs. coils with them. Having the exact indoor coil assures full efficiency & capacity. 3rd party coils are computer simulated so hard to say if you will really get what you expect. On a heat pump, coil match is critical. Looking at the ADP matches with that outdoor unit, SEER is pretty good, some of the HSPF numbers are pretty low. But again, that CD5BXA doesn't look anything like an ADP number. So confirm with him and again, ask why not a matching A-S coil.

The contractor for the H model just sent me some info on the coils. Model 4TXCB036BC3 and he says it is from Amer Std. He also sent me the AHRI Certificate with the following figures: Cooling (Btuh) 35,200, EER (Cooling) 12.00, SEER 14.25, Heating @ 47 33200, HSPF 8.50, Heating @ 17 20800. Is this a good mid-range system?

The one thing I'm confused about now is that the Amer Std website has the heat pump listed at up to 16.5 SEER and 9 HSPF. Are the lower numbers on the certificate due to the sizing of the unit (3 tons)?

There's likely 1 coil/furnace combo with the 4A6H5 that gets those kind of numbers. A real big game.

One of my coworkers wanted that heat pump with a new gas furnace. I pointed out he could save a bundle with a "13 SEER" heat pump.

Ask for a price on a 4A6H3036 instead. Same cooling efficiency, HIGHER HSPF at 9.00. And from our supplier anyway, OODLES LESS $$.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Is 4A6H3036 the Heritage 13?

Yes. They are changing names to precious metals instead of Heritage so I didn't call it that. But for the money and getting better efficiency than the Heritage 15 in this case, sounds like the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast