+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will work for peanut shells in central Massachusetts area

Post Likes
    you probably been on HVACAGENT but going to the end of the listings there are more companies shown for some reason
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    I think what Pete is saying is related to being over-qualified. I experienced it first hand with my last job. Although, it wasn't HVAC, I'm sure it doesn't change with different lines of work. It creates a problem. No doubt about it... Here's the thing...I never worked for an HVAC company and other than school, I can't prove the little experience I do have...and SBres22 I did find bluebook.com resourceful...found a few more companies that i will apply to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie74 View Post
    I think what Pete is saying is related to being over-qualified. I experienced it first hand with my last job. Although, it wasn't HVAC, I'm sure it doesn't change with different lines of work. It creates a problem. No doubt about it... Here's the thing...I never worked for an HVAC company and other than school, I can't prove the little experience I do have...and SBres22 I did find bluebook.com resourceful...found a few more companies that i will apply to.
    I guess you could call it a false feeling of overqualification. I would say it has more to do with an abundance of confidence in one's ability to make business decisions that inhibit one's ability to take instruction. What a lot of those guys fail to recognize is that the very fact that they went out of business and are no longer an entrepreneur shows an inability to make those decisions. It also leads me to think that this guy might try to go into business again and try to take my clients.

Back to the resume' tips, I would emphasize communications skills if you are applying for a resi or light commercial service tech job, and ability to take direction and interpret plans and specifications if it is an install job. With a resume' that is light on journeyman level experience you have to emphasize skills, and the example resume' is pretty good on that.

Post Likes
    https://uglunicco.tms.hrdepartment.c...jobs_quick.cgi

Check out the above website. I work for the company as maintenence technician currently working towards my refer license. I work in a commercial building complex with 9 building and 650,000 sq ft about 83% occupied. It a nationwide company. Good benefits, 401K, sick, vacation and personal time, tuition reimbersments and they have always treated me well. I have worked for them for 4 years. Good luck with the job search.

Post Likes
    That is a good looking resume I must say so. I am going to rewrite mine ASAP!

Post Likes
    Thanks Matt... I checked out the website, unfortunately they are not hiring anywhere close to me.

Post Likes
    Bernie,
    I its probably kinda far for you, but S.G. Torrice in Woburn/Wilmington is always hiring for work in the sheetmetal shop and on the store side. It may not be what you are looking for, but if you can find a better place to find a job than a supply house you'd allready have another gig. A couple people I went to school with started working there and they had all sorts of contacts for a job by the time they got outta school. Even if you dont go to that one, try some supply shops near your area, even if it isnt the pay you want, you'll be able to pick peoples brains while there, and they may let you take the classes and certification tests that they hold there. Could be a good way to get your foot in the door.
    Food for thought.

Post Likes
    Again, thanks for the input. Definitely too far, ideally would be in Worcester county. I never considered a supply house and I all ready went to school earning a technical certificate in HVAC/R, universal EPA, and went on to get my Massachusetts oil burner license. Need a job so I can start clocking 6,000 hrs toward refrig. license then will return to school for 150 hrs of MASS electric code and theory.

Post Likes
    Bernie take a look at this link too, they undate it monthly and they usually have 7 pages of jobs. Good luck

http://www.petersonschool.com/job_hotline/jobline.pdf

Post Likes
    I all most went to Peterson School, but went to Technology Learning Center, cause its closer to me. Anyway, thanks for the link...will def send my resume out to some of those places.

Post Likes
    Thank You Matt!! I got an interview tomorrow with HomeServe USA as a heating system tune-up, pm guy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Post Likes
    It is shame that that the school I attended did not say what they were going to do for the HVAC students when we graduated for the JOB PLACEment I am trying to find my own way thru the battlefield.

Post Likes
    Bernie that's awsome, like I said Peterson always has like 7 pages of job listings. Good luck with the intervie, let us know how it goes.

Post Likes
    Bernie also, make sure that if start working for a company where you will be working towards your hours for you MA refrigeration license they are or are willing to get into the state apprenticeship program. Makes it easier when you go get your license.

Post Likes
    I'm 38 yrs old and a formal apprenticeship is 5 yrs plus so much classroom time every year. I have the required 100 hrs of refrig. theory and EPA cert. State of Massachusetts will allow 6,000 on the job hrs. You keep track of W-2's..if you work a 40 hr wk, its 3 yrs and I will return to school towards the end of my 6000 hrs for 150 hrs of Massachusetts elec. code and theory. I was told by guys at school going through same program, there is no way to really separate hrs spent on heating vs. cooling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie74 View Post
    I'm 38 yrs old and a formal apprenticeship is 5 yrs plus so much classroom time every year. I have the required 100 hrs of refrig. theory and EPA cert. State of Massachusetts will allow 6,000 on the job hrs. You keep track of W-2's..if you work a 40 hr wk, its 3 yrs and I will return to school towards the end of my 6000 hrs for 150 hrs of Massachusetts elec. code and theory. I was told by guys at school going through same program, there is no way to really separate hrs spent on heating vs. cooling.
    Hey Bernie congrats!

Question. Do you know for a fact that your w-2s work for your hours? I've just heard so many things like you need letters from employers to w-2s. I'll hopefully be going for my license in year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    Question. Do you know for a fact that your w-2s work for your hours? I've just heard so many things like you need letters from employers to w-2s. I'll hopefully be going for my license in year.
    Thats the reason I suggested to to frostybeer, because you just hear so many different things out there. I had also heard that the state was trying to get rid of the method where you can have your supervisor sign off on your time. Thats the main reason I did the program through my employer. Know for a fact that you can still have them sign off on your time because my co-worker just got his license this way.

Post Likes
    Matt,
    Nice link man! I just wrote down 14 of those jobs that I can apply at. Thanks! I wasn't even thinking of peterson, since I went to porter and chester.

Post Likes
    No problem glad that I could help somebody out. So Porter and Chester didn't help you out with job placement? Peterson said that we could use them for a reference if we got above a 90 in class. Where do you work now?

Post Likes
    I am in fact positive that W-2's proving 6,000 hrs and a letter from your employer (who holds a refrig. lic himself) stating you are competent to take the state exam. If you are still uncertain check Mass. Dept of Public Safety website.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in