+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boiler Mechanic

Post Likes

Boiler Mechanic

I have 2 lochinvar cbn500 hot water boilers that I just inherited.Both ofthem are melting the ignition modules from the top. Has anybody had this type of problem before?

Post Likes
    I have installed half a dozen of their residential Solution models and haven't had any issues. Look them over real good, get all the info on them, and give Lochinvar tech support a call.

Post Likes
    Call tech support. They are good. We replace the igniters once a year. Never seen one melt. Are they overheating and warping? Are the hx's clean. Combustion analysis?
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Just re-read post. You said module not igniter. Never seen that.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    The ignition modules are melting? How hot are these boilers getting? Both water temp and stack temp?

Post Likes
    Moved thread to tech to tech commercial.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your replies. Unfortunatly I have not seen these two boilers run yet. I have the parts on order. This is in a building that my company has just taken over and I was called in to get the boiler room into operating condition before winter sets in. What i do know is that the coils are clean the flue is properly sized, and shows no signs of soot at all. The outside air intake is more then enough to handle the 1 million btu's with both boilers in operation. 1 square inch for every 4000 btu input my outside air intake is 24x24. The upper intake is 10x18. The roll out switches ohm out good. and the paint on the draft intake directly above the ignition module is still in perfect shape. The insulated panel that is attached to the same panel as the ignition module is in perfect shape. The panel that the ignitor is attached to is burned grey but there is a insulated board between that panel and the ignition module and it is unscorched. I am new to these smaller boilers as I am used to working on 300hp and up scotch marines and water tubes. These small guys are hard to turn around in LOL. Thanks for any and all replies. I did call the factory yesterday and was told that it sounds like a draft problem??? Which I have pretty much ruled out. There is something else going on here!

Post Likes
    Perhaps the modules require a spacer that may have been left out...that is to say if they were changed out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Perhaps the modules require a spacer that may have been left out...that is to say if they were changed out.
    Thanks coolwhip, I did forget to mention that there is a 1inch standoff spacer on the module and directly below the module on the combustion air intake panel there is a rollout switch. Which you would think would shut down the boiler before this could happen. So the heat is somehow getting to the top of the module and not the roll out switch. And the control wires on the bottom of the module are untouched by the heat. I just dont see a path for the heat to concentrate right there and not affect anything else around it. Since my last post all i could come up with is maybe a hairline crack in the burner directly below the module is allowing heat to rise up and roll down onto the module. But like I said the paint on the draft panel that is directly over the module shows zero signs of heat damage. its hard to imagine that the paint wouldnt altleast be scorched considering the whole module is melted into a glob!!! I am in a different building today so I cant troubleshoot right now. Which really bothers my OCD LOL.

Post Likes
    Backdraft an issue?

Post Likes
    Check your gas pressures and look over the flue piping arrangement real closely. Make sure both are within manufactures specs.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    venting on those machines is more of an issue than on a cb. look it over well before ruling it out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in