Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by newstudent View Post
    OK I agree. Let's assume all rooms are fixed so they are always comfortable. Would having someone install some HVAC zone dampers in the living room ducts connected to a programmable timer so they close only at night time only help me save energy? I'd live to have the living room not heated/cooled from 10pm to 6am every night.

Not enough where you'd recover the $$$ invested within even 10 years. Lets say you use 20% less energy (very optimistic) during that 8 hour period closing off that room and assume you furanec still has enough airflow and doesn't trip and high temperature. Over a 24 hour period that's only maybe 7%. SO if you have lets say a properly sized 60k BTU furnace, you might use maybe $600 in gas over a season. That's $42/year. Is it worth all that effort to save $30-40 per year?

If you want to save $40, try eating a little less food each day, lose 15-20lbs and you're metabolic rate will drop and you will require 5% less food. Sicne your food bill is probably over $2000/year, that's $100... and you be healthier and save on medical costs.

THere's you go, I just saved you $100. I of course am joking and making the possibly unfair assumption that you can lose 15-20lbs. But just trying to make a point.

Also, in the summer, you won't save much. The ineffciency from shorter runs times due to lower load will partially offset the reduce demand. Plus the cooling load at nighttime after 12PM in most climates is minimal anyway.

ok thanks for the advice!

I can see it *helping* shut down certain rooms if they reach temp before others and for $500 it might help but it won't save that much money. You can also go to home depot and pick up a thermostat that is programmable and will claim to save 30% for only $60.

I would not spend my money on it.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by newstudent View Post
    1. Would having someone install some HVAC zone dampers in the living room ducts connected to a programmable timer so they close only at night time only help me save energy?

2. I'd love to have the living room not [ heated/ ] cooled from 10pm to 6am every night.
    1. > 90% of your run time is probably during the day/ evening [ 11 AM - 8 pm]
    ___ Why would any1 PAIN themselves and attempt to save 10% of 10%, net 1%. Setting the t-stat up 1'F will do more than that.

2. So set 1 or 2 MAX Activent in living area(s) at 80'F with the t-stat set to 75'F.

OTHERWISE ... ZONEX or similar by an E X P E R I E N C E D Tech in setting up zone controls.
    http://zonexsystems.com/

http://zonexsystems.com/aconsum.htm

Go short on professionalism on zoning and you get what you Pay For, .:. Nothing.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Wouldn't closing the livingroom register at bed time and opening it in the morning do the same thing with a zero cost?

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Wouldn't closing the livingroom register at bed time and opening it in the morning do the same thing with a zero cost?
    Try closing the living room diffuser at 6 pm for a week, Then you'll know the degree of impact an Activent will or WONT HAVE.!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12