Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    RTW very simply means that you cannot be forced to join the union or pay union dues in order to hold a job. It doesn't mean anything else. It has nothing to do with overweight felines or anyone being cheated or overworked or fired. RTW means union participation is voluntary.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    the union doesnt have enought room for everybody, when it comes to pay and benefits non-union get shafted big time with "right to work" lipstick or not.
    Tradesmen make way less $$$$ in "right to work" states.
    It is not always true that union makes more. I know a lot of people that left the union for more money. If you know what you are doing you can make more non-union. The way I see it is it is harder to get over scale in the union because there are some people that make scale that are not worth scale.

virginia

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Can anybody explain what right to work state is and how unions function in them
    Virginia is a right to work state and I am union. You there are just a few contractors here that are union. All of the companies that have national contract when you are hired you have the right to join.except me when i got hired my boss told me you are joining the union(very pro-union).Thankfully it was the best decision anybody has made for me.I dont like politics.now getting a company to turn union is much harder 50% plus 1. hope that helps if not let me know i can get deeper

I'm just curious I'm pretty sure that I will be going back to finish my apprenticeship with the union. I started when I was 20 and took 2 years to screw around after dropping out and then got back in the trade. Now I think I'm ready to buckle down and do what it takes.

I was once fired and when I asked why he said no reason just have to part ways. I said you have to give me a reason. He replied no I don't this is a right to work state and can do what I want. Is this true

Yes, as much as right to work states free up the worker to not having to jump through the union hoops the same is true for employers. Especially in the first 90 days of employment a reason does not have to be given.

They don't have to give you a reason to fire you but if they don't they cant then claim a reason to deny unemployment benefits. One reason that has been mentioned for not being union in a right to work state, is to keep your money being used to reelect Obama. I would not have a problem joining the union except for their using union dues to elect liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    They don't have to give you a reason to fire you but if they don't they cant then claim a reason to deny unemployment benefits. One reason that has been mentioned for not being union in a right to work state, is to keep you money being used to reelect the joke we have for a president. I would not have a problem joining the union except for their using union dues to elect liberals.
    We union guys dont care about political affiliation, we vote republican and democrat, as a matter of fact most of my union brothers are gun owners and dont like the democrat anti-gun movement, now in order to buy a gun we need money and income comes from having a job, well we for sure are not going to vote for a candidate that is open anti-union like Romney, a big supporter of "right to work" aka right to "minimum wage".
    There is no better place for the worker than the union and I was a scab most of my life.

I'm pro union and against right to work and I've never been in a union, they set the wages. At least they set set a standard, the biggest secret at a non union shop is how much you make. This benefits one person, the owner

Quote Originally Posted by pcp View Post
    the biggest secret at a non union shop is how much you make.
    Thats bs right there. Everyone knows what everyone makes.

Sounds like a boss to me

All I know is that if I went Union I would have to start over at helper wage despite knowing what the hell I'm doing and thatis not an option for me. That and the fact that if I guy is useless or doesn't work well with the crew my boss can fire him. Cream rises to the top and the chaff is left by the wayside. I 'm not anti-union but I live in a right to work state and it is pure capitolism which is what our once great country is built on. Working hard and well gets you ahead. Just my 2 cents

No disrespect to anybody but I believe that any if us given the Opertunity to go union would jump at the chance. I know I would. I was just posing the question to see if taking a few steps back to go be an apprentice in the union after 5 years in the trade will be worth my while. I am confident it will be so long as they accept me. Superior training = superior knowledge. I hope I'm making the right choice I'm going to apply for apprenticeship to start this next school year. I was concerned about being in the union in a right to work state but there is only one way to find out. One thing is for sure I'm tired of being turned down for the jobs I desire because they say I'm not qualified. Sadly they are right. I have never been trained and have taught myself everything through books and late nights on the job.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast