Page 1 of 42 1234567811 ... LastLast

Union in right to work state

Can anybody explain what right to work state is and how unions function in them

union is still union, however you may encounter guys on jobs who are or are not union. unlike jobs in other areas that either are all union, or not. in addition, within shops, sometimes you have both types of guys. union is about education, and establishing wage standards for their members, but usually membership is smaller due to many folks beliefs of unions being something they arent.

In a right-to-work state, you don't have to keep your in-good-standing status and aren't at risk of losing your job because of it. You may also be allowed to solicit your own employment.

You can be fired without reason and you can quit to go work at the shop down the street without notice or reason. Employment is entirely voluntary and wages can vary greatly between techs at the same level. There's more to it than that but I can't explain it entirely.

Right to work state means Revolving doors in my opinion. Lazy people who don't know what hard work is. We had some workers from North Carolina come up to New York to help us out. They were gone within 3 days. Couldn't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHVA View Post
    Right to work state means Revolving doors in my opinion. Lazy people who don't know what hard work is. We had some workers from North Carolina come up to New York to help us out. They were gone within 3 days. Couldn't take it.
    How does Right to work make lazy people who don't know what hard work is?

maybe a union in NY is differant than here in North carolina the only ones joining thelm here are lazy people that want the union to help thelm keep there jobs.

"Right to Work" is similar to "Truth in Sentencing" where it is actually the opposite. "Truth in Sentencing" details how to reduce criminal sentences through good behavior; not serving all your time. "Right to Work" is more about employer rules than employees. People have the right to work in any state, but a "Right to Work" state does not require employers to negotiate, agree to conflict resolution, or pay prevailing wages to negotiated positions. Employers can negotiate and follow employment contracts with organized labor or not; whichever they want. Most "Right to Work" states either make it illegal to collect union dues through automatic payroll deposit or not require employers to allow the union to do it. It makes it harder for a union to collect dues. "Right to Work" has nothing to do with whether an individual works hard or not. I am not going to take a stand on unions either way, that is for an individual to decide. It is important that everyone has their own opinion, not their own facts.

Agree with coolheater.

right to work (for less) means the corporations can pay you whatever they want union or not, its a big game of politics, the worker makes less $$$ the CEO takes the big bacon home, right to work means , right to get screwed without lube.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    right to work (for less) means the corporations can pay you whatever they want union or not, its a big game of politics, the worker makes less $$$ the CEO takes the big bacon home, right to work means , right to get screwed without lube.
    Also means your paycheck will go a lot further...

Why do union guys think non-union workers get paid whatever they want to pay you? Hell, if it were as bad as yins think, we'd all quit and move to NYC...

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    Also means your paycheck will go a lot further...

Why do union guys think non-union workers get paid whatever they want to pay you? Hell, if it were as bad as yins think, we'd all quit and move to NYC...
    the union doesnt have enought room for everybody, when it comes to pay and benefits non-union get shafted big time with "right to work" lipstick or not.
    Tradesmen make way less $$$$ in "right to work" states.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    the union doesnt have enought room for everybody, when it comes to pay and benefits non-union get shafted big time with "right to work" lipstick or not.
    Tradesmen make way less $$$$ in "right to work" states.
    I agree, union guys make a lot more money. They also live in areas where taxes are higher (cause the city/county guys are union) and everything in general costs more.

The only way i could get a union job is to sell my house, move 500 miles north, find Quido and start mowing his yard. Im sure I wouldnt be good enough anyway. Instead of "look for the union label", Ive about decided to not buy anything union made. Im just tired of the general attitude of some (not all, and not really you, Im just ranting) union guys.

Page 1 of 42 1234567811 ... LastLast