Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I found the testo was much harder on my eyes than the digi.....love the green backlight....I guess it's just a matter of opinion.
    Yep.

And ya know what they say about opinions, doncha???

We've all got one.

We've all got something else, too...

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    But he saw thru the marketing the hype and bought a YJ digial wit micron gauge.
    LOL! Ritchie/Yellowjacket is a marketing GIANT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turkey View Post
    ..... so untill you actually use them you're just talking smack for no reason.
    I do believe this is the case for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Boy you guys must think I am a complete idiot...that is your failing. fact is I have used them for a solid week an could not stand the temp sensors...they made Evey other feature a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by turkey View Post
    ..... so untill you actually use them you're just talking smack for no reason.

Boy you guys must think I am a complete idiot...that is your failing. fact is I have used them for a solid week an could not stand the temp sensors...they made Evey other feature a pain in the ass.
    All a matter of opinion....pipe clamps are nice, but I can get in places with Velcro that you can't.

Not to mention that sometimes velcro allows for a more snug fit.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    All a matter of opinion....pipe clamps are nice, but I can get in places with Velcro that you can't.

Not to mention that sometimes velcro allows for a more snug fit.
    Velcro also allows for insulating the sensor which clamps do not.

Very interesting article in this month's RSES Journal. Have you read it yet, clover?

They specifically referenced high velocity air affecting sensors by a large degree, regardless of velcro or clamp.

Their answer?? insulating it.

I've got sensors of both types, bead and clampo probes. I can't seem to figure out how to insulate a clamp probe well, but bead probes lend themselves well to exactly that.

The key is having the correct tool for the job at hand, not trying to make one tool or the other fit every job.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Velcro also allows for insulating the sensor which clamps do not.

Very interesting article in this month's RSES Journal. Have you read it yet, clover?

They specifically referenced high velocity air affecting sensors by a large degree, regardless of velcro or clamp.

Their answer?? insulating it.

I've got sensors of both types, bead and clampo probes. I can't seem to figure out how to insulate a clamp probe well, but bead probes lend themselves well to exactly that.

The key is having the correct tool for the job at hand, not trying to make one tool or the other fit every job.
    JP I think you will find that the clamp sensors jaws are mad of a good insulating plastic. Not enough of Either the Testo or SMAN clamp sensor is exposed to be affected by stray air currents.

JP I think you will find that the clamp sensors jaws are mad of a good insulating plastic. Not enough of Either the Testo or SMAN clamp sensor is exposed to be affected by stray air currents.

The DC clamp jaws are better insulated than either the Fieldpiece ATC-1 probe or the testo and it will be affected by airflow like that.

Ran the tests between several K-type probes. The Fluke, the ATC, plus the DC clamp. I used a K-type thermocouple bead probe and a DC bead probe, insulated, as controls.

Only an insulated K probe and the insulated DC probe read similar readings. All of the clamps were quite inaccurate.

I don't have to own one. Although I have had the opportunity to use one from a poor misguided soul who made a bad buying decision. It was on a roof top and and he did not like the screen set up or the wimpy velcro sensors. I asked to monitor the system with his Digi Queens ...didn't like it. Screen was hard to see and the back lit was very dim.

I offered him my Testo 557 to use and he was ape-**** happy with the pipe clamps.

Evem tried my Sman and he like it.

You would not know this gents screen name but I won't give it.

But he saw thru the marketing the hype and bought a YJ digial wit micron gauge.

Yes, he pulls a vac thru a good quality manifold using crts and vacuum rated hoses.

When Digi-Queen gets into the suppliers where our local five percenters buy, (my self included...surprise) than I may have a change of heart....maybe.

Digi-C
    So you have used them.Thanks for sharing that. So you know when you are comparing those units they are a several hundred bucks difference MSRP? And if DC was such a bad buying decision where are all the busted up missing part ones for sale like the SMANs?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The DC clamp jaws are better insulated than either the Fieldpiece ATC-1 probe or the testo and it will be affected by airflow like that.

Ran the tests between several K-type probes. The Fluke, the ATC, plus the DC clamp. I used a K-type thermocouple bead probe and a DC bead probe, insulated, as controls.

Only an insulated K probe and the insulated DC probe read similar readings. All of the clamps were quite inaccurate.
    Horse Hockey Pukes.

There ain;t enough exposed sensor to be affected by air currents.

Make a video and and I MAY believe it....if it's not doctored.

I tested the sman and the test with and with out insulation result was too slight to mention.,,,,

I tested the sman and the test with and with out insulation result was too slight to mention.,,,,
    Maybe you should do the video, since you seem to be the only one arguing that air currents won't affect your clamps....

This is exactly one of the reasons I stopped coming here. If you're a Digi Cool Hater and if that's all you can post, it's showing your lack of intelligence and professionalism.

Taking unnecessary pokes at people by hiding behind a computer screen is something a child would do.

I know JP is a Mod but another (neutral) Mod needs to jump in and throw out some Warnings.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    So you have used them.Thanks for sharing that. So you know when you are comparing those units they are a several hundred bucks difference MSRP? And if DC was such a bad buying decision where are all the busted up missing part ones for sale like the SMANs?
    dON'T GET YOU REFERENCE TO SMAN 3 BEING BROKE UP ECT,

Wold you please clarify.

Valid point, no dist power.
    If Digi Queen was so great, then why aren't more suppliers lined up to take on the product to make a profit then there are now..???
    I suspect it has everything to do with the difference between the retail price that the customer is willing pay and the wholesale price that the supply house pays.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the supply house makes more $$$ per square foot with Testo and for sure Fieldpiece than Digi-Cool.

Testo is a huge company, much like Festo (Festool in the USA). They can afford to "subsidize" the cost of a few items to get some sales and market share in the target market. I bet that once someone buys a Testo tool, they look at other Testo tools.

Fieldpiece is not made in Germany, Canada, Japan or the USA. They are made in China. There is a big spread between wholesale and retail.

If you were a supply house that has to report earnings, do you want to sell a digital gauge that nets $75 or $20 in profit? Only have so much shelf/inventory space, right? Don't want to get stuck with last years models at the end of the season, right? You don't care which is "better", only the item that bring in more $$$ per unit sold. Added to this, you would carry the item with warranty/exchange policies in YOUR favor, not the customer.

On the other hand, Digi-Cool is essentially a one man band, without the megabuck R&D available to Testo and to a slightly lesser extent, Fieldpiece. Do you realize what it takes to be able to stock inventory at a couple thousand locations at once? Not really too easy for a small manufacturer. A small company obtaining vendor status at WalMart is faced with the same dilemma: the "yes, we did it" moment followed by the "oh ****, how will we supply inventory to XXX stores" moment.

I wonder how much of the digital gauge market has been shaped by Digi-Cool, much like the tablet and smart phone market being shaped by Apple.

Disclosure: Digi-Cool owner.

I looked at Testo, but the early multiple failures reported on high dollar test gear on this board pushed me away. Fieldpiece wasn't doing so well, either, but I do like a couple of their items.

I didn't like the original silicone wire that the DC sensors came with, but that has been updated. Smaller clamps would be nice, and I like the Testo clamps, but those are $250 a pop.

The manifold hook on the Digi-Cool has not broken yet
    Last edited by neophytes serendipity; 09-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast