+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Digicool super sensor failure

Post Likes

Digicool super sensor failure

I got my AK900 about a month ago, and have been using the upgraded sensors. I love the way it has been working, but today my sensors have been acting up.

The highside temp sensor is reading same as low side sensor.

The stock red and blue sensors work, so I don't think there is a problem with the head unit. If I could get some insight of why this would occur, I might be able to locate the problem.

I spent the extra Leg for these sensors, so I could avoid this issue. Gahhhhh

Post Likes
    Did you make a phone call to digicool or did you come here first? Im sure they will have a solution that you will be happy with!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I was hoping to find and fix the problem tonight. Got a busy day to come tomorrow

Post Likes
    So one of the thermistors is reading off? I dont own that set of pipe sensors but is there any signs the wire was pulled from one of the thermistor? If you jiggle the wire when they are connected does the reading change? I dont think you would be able to repair them if its not a wire breaking.. Im curious to see what others have to say.

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I am reading about 8 k ohms on the low side sensor, open on high side sensor. Also reading open on solder joints going into plug. That tells me the problem is either in the sheathing, or the most likely culprit, at the thermister.

Not very happy, but atleast its not at the head unit, and I have an extra set of sensors.

I'm going to build the coolest and baddest set around. Has anyone confirmed the coopers have the same value?

Post Likes
    yes I use the standard coopers. No major modification needed.. Just soldering the mojo plug.

Post Likes
    She is sending me new ones. I'm still going to make a super set of coops. Maybe 5-6 layers of heat shrink? I want a set I can rope a compressor with lol.

Post Likes
    Seems you guys who use Diggi Queens post more problems with the temp sensors than any other digital on the market.

My SMAN 3 and Testo 557 and 570 are going strong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Seems you guys who use Diggi Queens post more problems with the temp sensors than any other digital on the market.

I knew it was only a matter of time until you showed up. There was no way you were going to miss this opportunity to get a word in...

Post Likes
    Maybe he missed all the testo and Fieldpiece failures while he was bant and those were just the "Clowns" who felt like sharing them here.
    What was the latest one you needed to blow the sockets out with BONE DRY CO2
    I still believe there is hope for Clover. He loves his new BluVac and just needs a Digi-Cool now to complete his zombification LOL
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Maybe he missed all the testo and Fieldpiece failures while he was bant and those were just the "Clowns" who felt like sharing them here.
    What was the latest one you needed to blow the sockets out with BONE DRY CO2
    I still believe there is hope for Clover. He loves his new BluVac and just needs a Digi-Cool now to complete his zombification LOL
    No Digi Queen for me. Doug convinced me of that.

Post Likes
    BTW, you making fun of my Bone Dry Co2 usage?

Post Likes
    BTW, you making fun of my Bone Dry Co2 usage?
    Nope Wish I had some and the small tank you have.
    You could use co2 for leak detection too.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes

When a temperature sensor fails, the Digi-Cool still performs it's core function of highly accurate pressure readings, and the corresponding PT relationship.
    You won't find complaints about pressure transducer failures and display failures on Digi-Cool gauges, or failures due to being left in the rain, or being dropped.

The Sman and Testo gauges have a history of pressure transducer and display failures, Don't do well when they get wet, and Testo gauges don't handle accidental drops or rough handling well.
    The many threads there have been about problems with Testo and Fieldpiece digital gauges are failures of the core function of the instrument.

When temperature sensors fail, you can break out a thermometer and some pipe probes and continue working, which is how I use mine anyway.
    If a pressure transducer or the display fail, the instrument is only useful as a paperweight.

I own 3 Testo manifolds, only my first generation 523 made it through its warranty period without multiple failures of the core function. One entered permanent paperweight status after its 4th pressure transducer failure because Testo stopped supporting it barely 4 years after the instrument was first introduced to the market.
    All 3 of them were transported and worked with out of padded cases.

I own 2 Digi-Cool products, one of them suffered a failure of a pressure transducer after just over 6 years of often less than gentle use, and 4 years after its production had ceased. It was back up and working like new within a week and a half of me calling in to ask if parts were still available for it.
    Neither one of them has ever seen the inside of a padded case.

Each brand has its advantages and disadvantages. Digi-Cool unquestionably is the champion of durability of the core instrument, but has had temperature sensor issues since day 1 with the old DRSA-1100.

Testo makes a nice compact product, and the temperature compensated timed pressure test function is a REALLY great feature, but Testo instruments have a history of chronic issues with durability of the core instrument.

I haven't used a SMAN, but they seem very user friendly, and I like that they will work with a range of easily obtainable temperature probes, but they are not even a little bit water resistant, and there are still some core instrument durability questions.
    I am tempted by the SMAN4 though. The idea of being able to receive real time evaporator entering air WB temperatures from a wireless transmitter, with on the fly target superheat calculations displayed, puts a smile on my face.
    I just wish the thing didn't look like Spoungebob.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 08-30-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Post Likes

Are you still carrying ice each day to calibrate those SMAN sensors???

Post Likes

Yeah....and how many times did you have to send that SMAN3 back to get it working right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Yeah....and how many times did you have to send that SMAN3 back to get it working right?
    If memory serves, he didn't get to use it on a system until he had the 3rd one in his hands.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If memory serves, he didn't get to use it on a system until he had the 3rd one in his hands.
    My 1250 is 2.5 years old and never had to be sent back... I've even dropped it multiple times and got rained on several times. What am I doing wrong??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    and i had to calibrate it only once since than. I am satisfied with my SMAN and would never own those Klown Gauges by Digi Queen.

MyTesto 557 and 570 have been thru hell , don't tell me they are not durable.

And yeah, I stll carry a thermos of ice and water just in case.

After all I have other FP meters that measure temp that need checking a bit more frequently.

Post Likes
    And answer me this , if Digi Cool is so superior why don't they out sell SMAN an Testo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in