Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 71
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    7,772
    Those reports look pretty good compared to some I've seen. Duct system seems to be sealed pretty well, could be better but not bad. The house could use some improvement as well but overall not bad compared to lots of homes I have tested. I would definitely look into the iq drive, especially if you can get a discount through your son. It is a really good system. I was skeptical before I installed one. The two customers we have installed them for love them and the savings on utilities but the main thing they love is the comfort they have now throughout their home.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Those reports look pretty good compared to some I've seen. Duct system seems to be sealed pretty well, could be better but not bad. The house could use some improvement as well but overall not bad compared to lots of homes I have tested. I would definitely look into the iq drive, especially if you can get a discount through your son. It is a really good system. I was skeptical before I installed one. The two customers we have installed them for love them and the savings on utilities but the main thing they love is the comfort they have now throughout their home.
    Thanks! I really appreciate your input on this. I had no idea Broan was an RE Michel product until this Comfort Institute member dealer (who I found with YOUR help) mentioned it after I told him some of the repairs that my son had done at "cost" in the first two years I owned the house because he was manager at RE Michel. He then brought up the employee discount and that he ALWAYS helps relatives of RE Michel employees get the discount because they are his major supplier. The things we don't know until someone helps us find out!!

    Thanks again!

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    Your duct system needs some serious sealing if you are going with a variable capacity system. Additional insulation would be a big benefit too.

    I want to see the Phase 2 results. With a less than nearly perfectly sealed attic duct system, I expect their testing will show a shocking loss of efficiency from the variable capacity system.
    They really do not do well at all with a leaking, or poorly insulated duct system in an attic.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Your duct system needs some serious sealing if you are going with a variable capacity system. Additional insulation would be a big benefit too.
    Are you saying the reports I posted still indicate "serious" leakage? I just paid $xxx.xx to have the leaks sealed that were identified by Florida Power & Light Company's blower door test.

    Also had R30 blown into the attic on top of the R8 that was there before. Or are you talking about wrapping the ducts with more insulation? How can you tell that's needed from the reports I posted?
    Last edited by Florida Joy; 08-29-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: typo

  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,607
    I did find a rating for the FT4BI-036 removing 51,000 BTU. But that's with sauna conditions inside and 60° outside! But then, a 13 SEER FT4BD-036 will pull out 45K under similar similar very steamy in and cool out.

    The tech guide used the AHRI figure of 35,000 BTU as "nominal". But there are some cases where it will do better just like with any unit. Maybe a bit more than a single speed unit.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    7,772
    You have about 6% total duct leakage which is not that bad. Most homes I have tested have anywhere from 20-60% leakage. If I remember correctly your furnace sits on a box with the return grill cut into that box on other side of wall. If that's the case it should be really simple to seal that box completely and reduce your return duct leakage to 0 instead of 17

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You have about 6% total duct leakage which is not that bad. Most homes I have tested have anywhere from 20-60% leakage.
    I thought the 6% duct leakage was pretty damn good, considering I read where Florida building code allows 6% duct leakage for NEW CONSTRUCTION! Code allows 15% for retrofit.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    If I remember correctly your furnace sits on a box with the return grill cut into that box on other side of wall. If that's the case it should be really simple to seal that box completely and reduce your return duct leakage to 0 instead of 17.
    You are correct! I could tell the guy that sealed the return box did a crappy job... ductboard inside out... but I've been assured that the contractors I'm dealing with will seal the return on a new install anyway. So I'm not worried about the current 17cfm leakage at the return.

    Thank you for actually reading my reports! It's kind of annoying when people respond to my questions with comments and suggestions that have no relationship to the data that I posted. Grrrrrr.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I did find a rating for the FT4BI-036 removing 51,000 BTU. But that's with sauna conditions inside and 60° outside! But then, a 13 SEER FT4BD-036 will pull out 45K under similar similar very steamy in and cool out.

    The tech guide used the AHRI figure of 35,000 BTU as "nominal". But there are some cases where it will do better just like with any unit. Maybe a bit more than a single speed unit.
    http://www.ba-pirc.org/pubs/pdf/Ener...1-HeatPump.pdf

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    I am so disappointed. Got word from the Broan dealer who did all the testing, measuring, and load calculation at my home on Tuesday. Due to circumstances beyond his control related to prior commitments, he will not be able to commit to doing the work for me at this time. As a result, he has declined to provide a proposal (i.e. estimate $$$).

    Boohoo. Now looking for another reputable Broan dealer in Brevard County, FL. Wish me luck!

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    7,772
    Nordyne sells the iq drive system under broan, maytag and fridgidaire names, but I think re Michael only distributes them under the broan label

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville,Fl
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    I am so disappointed. Got word from the Broan dealer who did all the testing, measuring, and load calculation at my home on Tuesday. Due to circumstances beyond his control related to prior commitments, he will not be able to commit to doing the work for me at this time. As a result, he has declined to provide a proposal (i.e. estimate $$$).

    Boohoo. Now looking for another reputable Broan dealer in Brevard County, FL. Wish me luck!
    How did you upset him?

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzyd View Post
    How did you upset him?
    Are you saying I somehow upset him so he doesn't want me as a customer and he's lying about "prior commitments"? Is that how HVAC contractors roll?

    I don't know what I could have said to upset him.... maybe I asked too many questions and he could tell I already knew the "right" answers? He actually had all the "right" answers and I thought he could tell I was happy with all he was telling me, so I don't see why my questions would upset him. I thought he could tell I was genuinely interested in getting a Broan and becoming his customer. He took down my son's name and phone number at RE Michel and promised to call him for pricing on the equipment with the employee discount. Before he left, he said he'd email me the quote in a couple of days.

    Damn... do all HVAC contractors want customers who just nod a lot and take everything in without saying a word?

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Nordyne sells the iq drive system under broan, maytag and fridgidaire names, but I think re Michael only distributes them under the broan label
    Yes, this is what the Broan contractor told me, too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event