1999 Goodman Heat Pump vs Trane XR14

I currently have a 1999 Goodman 2.5 ton heat pump (sorry, that's all I know). The unit has been freezing up, leaking refrigerant, and cannot cool the house sufficiently in the summer (above 90 degrees). I'm having it replaced. One contractor wants to replace it with a Trane XR14 2.5 ton unit and standard air handler. My question is will I notice much of an improvement in cooling efficiency and will a newer unit be able to cool the house when it's above 90 degrees outside? That may be a dumb question, but that's why I'm asking the experts, I have no experience. One contractor told me that I would not see any difference since the unit is being replaced with the same size unit (2.5 ton). The contractor that wants to install the XR14 said I would notice a remarkable difference. Just wanting some advice. I'm replacing the unit regardless, just wondered what to expect. Thanks for any advice.

Have a manual J done and see what you actually need to cool your home BEFORE you purchase. Sounds like you've got no idea what you need. If you take out a 2 1/2 ton unit and replace it with same size unit, then don't expect more BTU's from system. Make sure you have the manual J figured with the temp setting you want to maintain inside the home with the outdoor temp expected for your area. (I.E. 72 degrees at 92 degrees outside).

You're correct, no idea what I need, however the contractor stated a 2 1/2 ton unit was plenty for my home (single story, 1480sq.ft). But thanks for the info, I was hoping to get better performance out of a new system, but not having to put up with yearly problems will be more than worth it. Thanks again.

Trane as not made a xr 14 in a while either it is a xb14 or they have one in the warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Trane as not made a xr 14 in a while either it is a xb14 or they have one in the warehouse
    Glad you brought that up. The contractor told me this model was no longer made, but he could get one with 10 yr warranty. Would it be better to get something up to date or is this a good model? Based on his quote, it's not much less than the XR13.

They are good units ,it was replaced by the xr15 if your getting a good deal on it and your comfortable with the contractor .

Excellent. Thanks very much for your help!