+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would rubbing alcohol help a r-12 system?

Post Likes

How would rubbing alcohol help a r-12 system?

Back when I first got my R-12 Cert. in the early '90's I remember seeing this additive called "Maxi-cool" in auto parts stores. I tried it and it seemed to make the air cond. cool better and it did lower the outlet air temp in cars with the old r-12 system. I have no idea what the stuff was, but it smelled just like rubbing alcohol, and it would catch fire with an open flame. Anybody know what this stuff really was? or how it worked? Was it just me wanting it to work, or did it do something?

Post Likes
    Probably had something to do with moisture. I'm speaking out of my rear but maybe it would bind with the non condensables and help them to get trapped in the drier. There are similar products still sold by the company that makes super seal.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I think it was just methanol. It was used to prevent any moisture in a system from forming ice and causing irregular flow out of the metering device.

Post Likes
    Yep. Was also known as Thawzone.

Post Likes
    It has to do more than just moisture control doesn't it. I always have pulled a good vacuum, I always change the dryer when I open a system, and I'm always careful with my manafold hoses. So where could the moisture have come from? Maybe just what was in the virgin refrigerant? And I've saw it drop the outlet air temp down to 30 degrees on a Olds Cutlass. GM low pressure switch should have cut the compressor before getting that cold.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLBisTCB View Post
    It has to do more than just moisture control doesn't it. I always have pulled a good vacuum, I always change the dryer when I open a system, and I'm always careful with my manafold hoses. So where could the moisture have come from? Maybe just what was in the virgin refrigerant? And I've saw it drop the outlet air temp down to 30 degrees on a Olds Cutlass. GM low pressure switch should have cut the compressor before getting that cold.
    Sounds like Magic.
    The new stuff they sell to people at partstores now as R134A is Propane. It will also catch fire with open flame.

Post Likes
    Makes me glad I don't work with 134a much! I'd hate to have a leak that I haden't found yet, light a cigarette, and blow my head off! I know they will kill you but I didn't think it would be that quick, or that messy!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Sounds like Magic.
    The new stuff they sell to people at partstores now as R134A is Propane. It will also catch fire with open flame.
    That sounds fishy to me.

Where did you get that from?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    That sounds fishy to me.

He must be referring to the counterfeit R134a from China, which consists of R22, R142b and R40.

When this gas (the R40 component, methyl chloride) comes into contact with aluminium, it forms a reaction which creates toxic and highly flammable substances (namely trimethylaluminium) which will spontaneously combust in contact with air. The reaction also degrades the aluminium components and contaminates the oil, so the system would likely fail in a relatively short time as well.

Best to avoid really cheap R134a in disposable cylinders.

Post Likes
    There are many R-22 retrofit refrigerants being marketed for R-22 that are, basically, propane.

If I recall correctly, there were, and are, also hydrocarbon based R-12/134a replacements as well.

R-134a isn't flammable in and of itself, but, if mixed with one of these magical retrofit gasses, it would likely become so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    There are many R-22 retrofit refrigerants being marketed for R-22 that are, basically, propane.

If I recall correctly, there were, and are, also hydrocarbon based R-12/134a replacements as well.

R-134a isn't flammable in and of itself, but, if mixed with one of these magical retrofit gasses, it would likely become so.
    That's interesting, as I didn't know that about the new R22 replacements. They are not available here at the moment.

I thought he meant R134a from a parts house that was sold as R134a but wasn't really R134a. I am familiar with R290 as it is becoming more common in imported equipment from the EU.

Post Likes
    i think r22a is a flammable r22 replacement

Post Likes
    R134a mixed with compressed air can cause combustion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trai View Post
    i think r22a is a flammable r22 replacement
    Yeah it is, it's a mixture of propane, and butane!
    It's a beautiful day friends, just watch some idiot screw it up!

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm the rest of his life!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover

That sounds fishy to me.

From the ODP course I took 2 months ago at the HRAI head quarters. The teacher told us. Some brown guy kept saying " I can buy 134a from Canadian tire. Teacher says it's propane

Post Likes
    Here is the 134A replacement he could buy at CANADIAN TIRE http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html

Post Likes
    ethyl alcohol

alcohol with lead.

used to be pretty common to add to an r22 low temp box.

yes propane works also
    Last edited by supertek65; 08-31-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: i am an idiot and can not spell!!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Some brown guy kept saying "
    brown guy?

Post Likes
    Although you posted in a 8 month old thread , in the Toronto area there is a TECH school called George Brown , lot of people refer to anyone from there as a BROWN guy , same way a FORD fan is called a FORD guy or CHEV fan a CHEVY GUY , I am sure there was no racial intention from the poster.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Control Man View Post
    Although you posted in a 8 month old thread , in the Toronto area there is a TECH school called George Brown , lot of people refer to anyone from there as a BROWN guy , same way a FORD fan is called a FORD guy or CHEV fan a CHEVY GUY , I am sure there was no racial intention from the poster.
    Very "tactful" response.... Lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in