Obsolete Breaker

There are still a bunch of these still floating around. If you are still kinda new at this they read a little funny on the VOM.

and thats how its suppose to be wired?

Yep. That is right off the wiring diagram.

What is obsolete or unusual about it?

Those jumper bars are a standard item that can be ordered for a number of brands of breakers, and are included as part of the "Single point power entry kit" for several equipment manufacturers air handler heat packages.

The added in note on your picture indicates that one of the lugs has 3 tabs, it does not.
    Each lug has 2 tabs, the tabs off the left lug on the jumper bar go to the left lug on each breaker, and the tabs off the right lug of the jumper bar go to the right lug on each breaker.
    If you have a 240v supply into the big lugs on the jumper bar, you will have 240v into each breaker.

I keep one on my truck for when I find an air handler that some retard has wired like this:

When it should be like this:
    Last edited by mark beiser; 08-28-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The air handler makers call it a "single power entry kit".

Just like what was said before, almost every manufacturer makes them. Its a lot cheaper than running to a 100 amp box and running breakers and wire. I'm having a hard time finding the name for this item for Ruud and Rheem. If anybody has a number. I went to the supply house and the supply guy said just run it to the 60 amp and jumper it to the 30. I need the number because I don't think the supply guy is willing to because he doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Baycienda View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding the name for this item for Ruud and Rheem. If anybody has a number. I went to the supply house and the supply guy said just run it to the 60 amp and jumper it to the 30. I need the number because I don't think the supply guy is willing to because he doesn't know what I'm talking about.
    For heat packages with 2 breakers, RXBJ-A21, for ones with 3 breakers, RXBJ-A31.
    https://www.rheemote.net/docstore/we.../RXBJ/RXBJ.asp

The way the supply house guy sad to wire it is a code violation. Sadly many people wire them like that, and inspectors don't catch it.

the picture was confusing. it looked like 3 poles instead of 2 and 2. I have used the single point kits before.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    the picture was confusing. it looked like 3 poles instead of 2 and 2. I have used the single point kits before.
    It is 2 and 2, like this:
    Name:  45-23202-01.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  35.9 KB

the first picture confused me. after looking at it again i see it

Is it just because the wire is easier to pull that they went with 2 circuits from breaker panel to electric heat?

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Is it just because the wire is easier to pull that they went with 2 circuits from breaker panel to electric heat?
    Has to be. I hate working with wire that big.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted