Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Working in the rain

This is half rant/half question. First, the rant. I have a coworker that is kinda lazy and finds any excuse to get out of work. So if it's drizzling out he refuses to wash condenser coils or god forbid change a compressor while it's raining. So guess who gets stuck doing the job??? That's right, me. We are so slammed with work now, borrowing techs from other offices even, and he's pushing jobs back by telling the dispatcher that it's raining where he his so he can't do the job. Or, "it might rain any minute". Now, I totally understand the concerns about opening a system in the rain, we don't want to get moisture in the system. But there's ways to get the job done. I have a pop up canopy and I have a tarp that goes around it. I set it up over the condensing unit so I'm not actually working in the rain. My coworker tells me that the humidity levels inside the tent are high enough to compromise the POE in a minute. I'm calling BS. Am I right? There's the question part of this post. The humidity is relative to the ambient temp and pressure inside the tent. It's no more humid in there than it is during the wet months of the year. The dude is just lazy and p!$$ing me off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    This is half rant/half question. First, the rant. I have a coworker that is kinda lazy and finds any excuse to get out of work. So if it's drizzling out he refuses to wash condenser coils or god forbid change a compressor while it's raining. So guess who gets stuck doing the job??? That's right, me. We are so slammed with work now, borrowing techs from other offices even, and he's pushing jobs back by telling the dispatcher that it's raining where he his so he can't do the job. Or, "it might rain any minute". Now, I totally understand the concerns about opening a system in the rain, we don't want to get moisture in the system. But there's ways to get the job done. I have a pop up canopy and I have a tarp that goes around it. I set it up over the condensing unit so I'm not actually working in the rain. My coworker tells me that the humidity levels inside the tent are high enough to compromise the POE in a minute. I'm calling BS. Am I right? There's the question part of this post. The humidity is relative to the ambient temp and pressure inside the tent. It's no more humid in there than it is during the wet months of the year. The dude is just lazy and p!$$ing me off.
    Tough one...tough one..

The door swings both ways with this one in my opinion.
    Somewhat depends on the job and where the condenser or unit is located.
    If its out back or on the ground, pop up a tent and have at it.
    If its on the roof and onlymeans of access is your extension ladder then you gotta think in terms of your own personal safety.
    Add lightning risk in with rooftops.

If it CAN wait...like a pop or beer cooler at a gas station, then my personal safety comes first.

If it is a walk in cooler full of thousands of dollars of product that is indeed an emergency...
    Maybe wait the hour till the storm lets up.
    If its casual rain all day and not a heavy storm then sounds like you'll be getting the tent out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3. Likes VanMan812 liked this post
    Post Likes
    As far as opening the system up when its raining or really really humid...

Gotta do what you gotta do...
    Open it, fix it...vacuum real good and it should be fine.
    If i tell a customer i cant make repairs cuz of the humidity then i might lose a customer.

Sometimes theres a difference between getting a job done and being stupid.
    Kinda like the old "OHHH GOD...THROTTLE that liquid in extremely slow or you'll slug her"
    Well...by the time someone explained that to me i already charged it up and am on to my next call

5. Likes VanMan812, YingGiang liked this post
    Post Likes
    What does the service manager have to say about your co-worker. Isn't it the service managers responsibility/discussion to open a system in the rain within reason and not your co workers discussion to make? Don't you have a service manager?

Post Likes
    You said it better than I could. I'm not playing with lightning just so someone can have cold beer or ice cream. But a light drizzle shouldn't deter us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    You said it better than I could. I'm not playing with lightning just so someone can have cold beer or ice cream. But a light drizzle shouldn't deter us.

Bingo

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    What does the service manager have to say about your co-worker. Isn't it the service managers responsibility/discussion to open a system in the rain and not your co workers discussion to make? Don't you have a service manager?
    My service manager is very good at her job. She manages the techs, customers and all the warranty/ factory stuff very well but she has ZERO technical ability. She has no idea of what he says is legit or not. I'm not going to rat him out either. I'll talk to him the next time I see him, keep it between the techs.

Post Likes
    If she is that good, she has to know he is a puss. It is not fair to the rest of the guys, sounds like more than a talkin is in order. Pull as a team or send him on his way.
    UA Local 32

12. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    This past Saturday the rain was coming down at more(less?) than a 45* angle. I suited up and worked building a CCA wood deck/platform, 5' off the ground/mud for a 435 lb CondUnit. I maybe a little "off center" here, but I enjoyed it! I had fun! Whack-a-do yourself,LOL!
    Last edited by TechmanTerry; 06-27-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    This past Saturday the rain was coming down at more(less?) than a 45* angle. I suited up and worked building a CCA wood deck/platform, 5' off the ground/mud for a 435 lb CondUnit. I maybe a little "off center" here, but I enjoyed it! I had fun! Whack-a-do yourself,LOL!
    Yeah , that wasn't a good morning. I was lucky enough to work indoors that day.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I'll be honest: I live in SE-Louisiana and I'd rather not open a system if it's raining or even when the humidity is so thick you can cut the air and eat it. If I do, and I have I end up going through most of a bottle of N2 to try and keep it dry. Usually down here if it's raining it's probably a T-storm and then all bets are off.

A pat on the back is nothing more then topical anesthesia for a knife.

Post Likes
    Service manager should start sending him home anytime it is sunny. Sunburns and sunstroke are real dangers.

Maybe he will get the message. If I didn't work in the rain I would be at home half the year.

As far as the POE, trickle N2 through the system.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

17. Likes VanMan812, buford liked this post
    Post Likes
    It drizzles here almost every day in the winter. If we didn't work in it, we wouldn't work at all. I keep nitrogen flowing through the system when opened rain or shine. I'll put it off if it's a safety issue or if it's not an emergency and it's particularly nasty out. Light rain is no excuse to not do a job in most cases.

19. Likes VanMan812, UmmScott, GoCougs, buford liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast