Post Likes

1990's era wine fridge not cooling "long term"

Hi All,

So, I have a 1990's era (that's what the mechanical thermostats are stamped with, anyway) Eurocave wine fridge. It's got a Danfoss TL4A compressor (R12), single back mounted condensor and the evaporator is embedded in the back wall (no fan, just there). Looks like it uses a capillary tube for metering, which is what my initial thought is on the problem.

Anyway, symptom. From room temp, plug it in (or engage the thermostat), the unit cools off. Compressor sounds pretty good, lots of guggling sounds from the evaporator, unit gets cold. Problem is, at some point, either the compressor cycles, or just overheats, and it stops cooling and the unit comes back up to room temp, with the compressor chugging away doing jack **** other than getting hot (seems to top out at about 200F according to my FLIR). One way I can tell when things stop working is when the system is functioning, the compressor seems to draw about 150W, but once it stops, it drops to about 100W. And that's no where near the LRA of this compressor of 7.4A (which I can trigger by short cycling it).

Any thoughts on what might be up? Worn compressor valves? clogged capillary? Electrically, the unit seems fine. The other issue is this unit has a full charge of only 4.3oz of R12. So even if I could handle R12, emptying it and weighing in replacement (or putting back what's there) would be "fun".

Thanks!

Post Likes
    If it's over 7 1/2 - 10 years old throw it out and replace it.

Not worth the time or trouble

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    If it's over 7 1/2 - 10 years old throw it out and replace it.

Not worth the time or trouble
    Understood, but also hate just tossing something without knowing it's not fixable. =/

Post Likes
    How old is your car. You've probably bought 8 - 10 since that unit was manufactured.

Post Likes
    lol. fair.

Post Likes
    I'm still really curious about potential causes of something like this. I keep thinking clogged capillary/drier, such that when the compressor shuts off, there's no low/high side equalization, so when it re-starts, it just ends up slowly pulling a vacuum on the low side and there it sits, pumping nothing, just creating heat. But I could be totally off...

Post Likes
    guggling noises are usually indicative of a leak. the question is, where?... a leak would make it look like a capillary tube problem when it's really not. a lack of refrigerant back to the compressor causes the overheat issue also.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."