Control Board for Carrier Model 58STA

The control board that was installed with my new furnace is a old school circuit board that has a red bulb that lights up.

The specifications that I downloaded for my model under equipment included states:
    Control shall include a micro-processor based integrated electronic control board with at least 11 service troubleshooting codes displayed via diagnostic flashing LED light on the control, a self-test feature that checks all major functions of the furnace within one minute.....

The interior blower door lists codes and meanings of the codes and seems to match what I described above.

I had a problem I posted this morning about my blower not coming on and the capacitor was replaced and it worked for an hour before quitting again. Since it might be the motor which is under warranty I called the original company that I purchased it from and they will be coming out in the morning.

Can anyone please advise on how to confirm and then get them to install the correct board that was part of my equipment purchase? Also a 40va transformer and low-voltage (heating)(heating/cooling)thermostat was part of the equipment components. Is that a wall thermostat?

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyK View Post
    Can anyone please advise on how to confirm and then get them to install the correct board that was part of my equipment purchase?
    Unless this was under warranty, they probably installed a "universal" board to save you $$$$, now if you want to spend a lot of $$$$ to get them to install a factory board, so you can watch the lights blink, tell them. Their not at fault for trying to save you many $$$$ with a universal board, that most all of us install everyday.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

The microprocessor based control board comes standard with no extra charge and Carrier says it ships with the furnace order. I did not want to "watch the lights blink" but as a homeowner it would have been nice to have the self test feature as well as the LED display for the error codes.

Are you saying you don't think it came with the correct board when it was installed new?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Are you saying you don't think it came with the correct board when it was installed new?
    This is what it sounds like, it also sounds like a diy, why else would a HO care about trouble codes on their furnace board? Maybe they think the boards flashing codes are the silver bullet to fix and repair a furnace, most of the time in my travels, the codes are worthless, I wished they would just stop with the flashing codes altogether, I personally don't need them to repair a furnace. Maybe they need to contact Carrier.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Yes I am. I called to verify with Carrier and when it was shipped new to the dealer it had the electronic control board. I know Mr. Bill thinks it is DIY and wonders why I would want to know what the error codes mean anyways or watch the lights blink but I think I am like most homeowners when it comes to something major breaking down in my home. Yes, I want to have the self test diagnostic that runs thru each component and gives the error code that I would use to look at what is printed on the blower door and see what it means. Not because I want to DIY but because I want to research and get info and an idea what it might cost me and if it is covered...etc I think that is why Carrier made that feature standard to begin with. As a homeowner I don't know anything other than a few years ago I spent thousands of dollars to replace a furnace that had lasted 20 years.

Earlier the original company came out and determined that it was the blower motor and it is covered under warranty plus labor. I asked him about the electronic control board with the error codes and he looked me in the face and said that the circuit board with the red bulb was an electronic LED board. I asked him where the self test button was and he pointed to a relay! I didn't bother to ask him where on the board the codes would display.

The light you see is a LED. The code is read by counting how many tmes the light blinks when there is a fault condition.

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyK View Post
    Not because I want to DIY but because I want to research and get info and an idea what it might cost me and if it is covered...etc I think that is why Carrier made that feature standard to begin with..
    I don't think Carrier or any mfg. implemented the boards with the diagnostic lights for the benefit of the home owner, or to even help a home owner diagnose their furnace issues. I have to give you credit, you have so for only tried to diagnose, I have been on many calls were the lights gave the homeowner a general direction, and they had already replaced multiple parts in vain. For the record, it's your furnace, and your life, if you want to mess with the most dangerous appliance in your home, your right it's none of my business, but I do try to detour folks from the possibility of injuring themselves or someone else if I can, it's just the way I am.

I think the self test button is beside a relay. And as said earlier, the red bulb is the LED error code light. It flashes what ever number of times the error code is. Its not an LED that lights up displaying an actual number.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thank you for your information and responses. I guess you can tell there is a little distrust here. I had used this company for several projects over the years. My outside a/c unit, new water heater, plumbing for my bathroom remodel, ductwork repair/replacement in my crawl and the new furnace. I have had issues over the years with everything except the outside a/c unit including rusted parts in the furnace due to rain (they did not properly connect/seal the pipes that go into the attic and connect to the roof pipe) I'm kicking myself since reading on this site. Back then I could have afforded a better system and would have upgraded. As it was, once they determined I needed a new furnace and I was told the price and the next day they installed this one.

I do still need to replace my thermostat. Does it matter what kind I buy?

I think the self test button is beside a relay. And as said earlier, the red bulb is the LED error code light. It flashes what ever number of times the error code is. Its not an LED that lights up displaying an actual number.
    It's more complicated than pushing a button. It involves use of a jumper wire and following explicit instructions in the service manual. Seems they went out of their way to prevent the HO from attempting DIY diagnostics.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 08-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.