Thread: geo-thermal + VANEE and thermostat qestions

Post Likes

geo-thermal + VANEE and thermostat qestions

hello

I'm posting to get some advice and educate myself a little so i dont get ripped off buy a local (dishonest)HVAC person.

I just bought this house and have some questions. i will use number to try and organize this......

1. the house has a 4.5 ton Mammoth geo-thermal unit the main unit was replaced in 2004 (home biult in 1987) I dont know what, if any, maintenance has been done on the unit and what is required?

2. The house has 3 VANEE units, one for the pool room (7000 series) this one only does the pool room and it seems the owner did not know there was a filter to change, i don't think it has ever been changed in 20+ years !!! I will change this but can i clean the dust out of the unit with anything? (ill shut the breaker off first of course)

3. the other 2 VANEE units are smaller, they are in the attic and are unplugged. I don't know how to check proper operation and i wouldn't mind using them for fresh air exchange. the owner thought he was "ripped off" but i just think he didn't understand how they work, witch seem the case of dirty filters. they are for fresh air and humidity control.

4. i have the old mercury thermal stat, i nearly broke it off the wall. i want to upgrade this (I'm going to put z-wave in the house starting next year) do i need anything special ? or just one that is compatible with heat pumps? I was told $$$$ for one from a local guy and you can buy the thing for $$$$. $$$$ in labor seems kinda step for what i think would take maybe an hour from a pro. the murcury is 2 stage heat and one stage AC.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-28-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    34 views and nobody has any help?

Post Likes
    Which question?

You need to be specific. Maybe one question at a time.

Post Likes
    Pricing isn't permitted.

I removed them from your post.

Post Likes
    Nobody wants to touch this.
    I suggest you replace all the filters and start running everything on low. Then reports what happens. You need a good temp/%RH meter. Your pool needs enough fresh air to remove the mositure and clorine smell. Your home needs enough fresh air to avoid condensation on the windows during cold weather.
    Lets here what happens. Someone had good intentions when they designed this.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Since you just bought the house, you first need to locate a service company that can see your equipment.

We can only, really, discuss generalities here because we cannot actually see and take measurements on the equipment.

You might look at our Contractor Locator map and see if someone is in your area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Nobody wants to touch this.
    I suggest you replace all the filters and start running everything on low. Then reports what happens. You need a good temp/%RH meter. Your pool needs enough fresh air to remove the mositure and clorine smell. Your home needs enough fresh air to avoid condensation on the windows during cold weather.
    Lets here what happens. Someone had good intentions when they designed this.
    Regards TB
    the geo thermal is working, I just want to make it is working as it should, during the hot days last month it would shut off and only for the 5 minute timer then turn back on. I know they are expensive to replace and just want someone to check the system and perform any maintiancane if it is needed. surly the coils need cleaned after 8 years?

the vanee in the pool room is fine, it just needs a filter and cleaned out, but i didn't want to just take a hose to it........ or compressed air without asking someone .......... it is only used in the winter so it don't form a cloud in the pool room.. in the summer we open a window and the skylight/s to vent the chlorine, the room also has its own vent fan that can be used if needed. the room is not cooled in the summer.

the other vanee's have been unpluged for a very long time and i would perfer a pro to check them over. I would rather not burn the house down.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Since you just bought the house, you first need to locate a service company that can see your equipment.

We can only, really, discuss generalities here because we cannot actually see and take measurements on the equipment.

You might look at our Contractor Locator map and see if someone is in your area.
    i tried the location map, so far i have got one to voice mail, one that don't service geo-thermal and one that just does energy studies. i'm in the St louis area

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in