Carrier model 58STA blower will not turn on

This is my first post. I am a homeowner and purchased this furnace 12/27/07. Although it may be a coincidence I will post some additional information.
    About a week ago the fan on my outside a/c unit would not turn on. My daughters boyfriend and his co-worker (both work in maintainence of everything related to a drycleaners) went back and forth from the inside unit to the outside before discovering the problem was with a wire in my crawlspace going from the unit outside to the furnace inside. The portion of wire closest to the outside unit needs to be replaced as rodents have nibbled on the wire but by "jiggling" the wire around it fixed that problem for now.
    Since then the furnace has been a little louder when kicking on. Yesterday morning daughters boyfriend said in the am the unit made the normal noise that it does before the a/c kicks on but the noise continued. He said he tapped the vent pipe and it kicked on. Everything was fine (except for it being loud) until last night around 8:30 when I noticed the unit trying to start up with the noise continuing and the blower never starting.
    I took the cover off and saw the blower door safety switch was taped down and the blower plate (with the round glass peep hole) had not been replaced. The led light was a steady red. The loud noise would continue for about 30 seconds then stop. The outside unit started as part of the cycle. I checked all the breakers, turned off the thermostat and the power switch on the furnace. I tried to restart the unit without the a/c, just the house fan but the blower still would not kick on. I checked the purple car looking fuse as well as looking at the board and making sure all the connections were secure.
    Daughters boyfriend looked everything over and realized that the motor was very hot. We decided to leave everything off overnight and let the motor cool off. A little while ago I turned on the switch on the furnace and turned the thermostat to cool. The unit was much quieter and made the familiar hum that it does right before the blower starts up but still no blower. Steady red led light.
    Your help is greatly appreciated. I have a limited income and need to figure this out. Thanks in advance. Tracey
    Last edited by TraceyK; 08-27-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added detail

Sounds like you need to call an HVAC service tech not a dryer repair man!

Ditto, call a technician

Do you have an idea where to start as far as troubleshooting with the facts given? I do believe the co-worker is an independent contractor that holds various licences, not sure about HVAC.

Also, I the biggest reason for wanting to troubleshoot this is because I have 4 months left on my 5 year limited warranty. Any advise on circuits to test or wiring will not be done by me. I do know these guys also work on the commercial rooftop ac units at the different cleaners if that gives you any confidence. If I could afford to I would call someone but for now I have no air circulation in the house.

No DIY on this site, read the rules. You may end up spending more by allowing someone to work on your unit that doesn't know what they are doing rather than calling a company that will fix it correctly the first time

Thank you for your reply. I was able to confirm that the co-worker/contractor does hold a HVAC license and was able to troubleshoot with the above information. He determined that most likely it was the "capacitor" and if not he was going to look to see if a relay on the circuit board was the issue. Daughters boyfriend purchased the part and the licensed contractor came over to put it in. I am happy to report that the blower is now working and there was not any DIY involved. I guess the earlier problem was just a coincidence after all.

I do have a couple questions maybe you can answer. 1. When looking online and also on the info on the blower door there was reference to the various error codes and what each meant. There was nothing on my furnace circuit board except the red led, nothing to display a digital error code. Is the codes something that would show up on a new digital thermostat?
    2. My thermostat is very old maybe original to the house (1969). I have read that a newer one could somehow save money in heat and air costs. Is this true? Looking at Home Depot and online there are so many choices and price points that I have put if off the past several years. What would be a good choice for a 1600 sq ft home, one level and gas heat?

I will be passing this website on to daughters boyfriend who will be pursuing his HVAC license in the spring.