New to this board and new to the trade...

Hello everyone! My name is Bernie and I live in north eastern Connecticut. Basically I'm making a career change..been in and out of food service for 18 years. It was one of these jobs some people get stuck in. Anyway, enrolled in HVAC/R course at Technology Learning Center, Oxford, Massachusetts last Oct. and finished up in late June. I earned a certificate in HVAC/R, universal EPA and Massachusetts oil burner license. Looking forward to the learning the trade and a job that allows me to pursue my refrigeration license. I must say it is very difficult for a newbie to land a job especially when companies aren't accepting apprentices right now. I do have a job interview with a company changing filters on roof top units this week. It's not really a service technician job, but was thinking it could put me in that direction. What do you guys think?

Welcome here!

I say take the job! It will get you a start in the trade.

Be the best filter changer they have ever seen! They will notice you before long, if you have what it takes to be a good service technician!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Welcome here!

I say take the job! It will get you a start in the trade.

Be the best filter changer they have ever seen! They will notice you before long, if you have what it takes to be a good service technician!

Doing PMs and changing filters/belts is one of the best ways to learn your way around the different kinds of equipment. Not many people get the opportunity to start out in the commercial side of the HVAC industry. Also, the companies who have dedicated or sub-contracted filter guys usually get to work on some pretty large stuff. Good luck!
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Remember the arrow goes towards the coil. Lol!!! Take the job. At least your foot is in the door. Best of luck. Your right it is absolutely tough out there. Commercial is a great start too.

Welcome Bernie, definitely take the job and show initiative and learn all you can. Someone will notice your hard work

i was in the foodservice industry for 10 yrs. at 30 i made the jump to hvac. my first day alone on the job i thought what the hell was i thinking. it gets better, the first job is the hardest to land. my advice to you is always be nice to the supply store counter people they will tell you when contractors are hiring, also they sometimes have bulletin boards where contractors post jobs. because of my coustomer service i get more repeat coustomers which helps during slow times. most of all remember that you can not sacrafise safety over coustomer service this is a hard lesson for someone with a service background. always buy the smartest guy a cup of coffee it will go a long way.

Changing filters will soon turn into changing belts, motors and other parts, especially since you could be the first to notice bad sounding motors and see worn belts and stuff. That job would be a good start.

And since you are new here, you might want to check out ARP (some say it stands for Ask REAL PROFESSIONALS) down near the bottom of the main menu. You'll find PROFESSIONALS with names like TOOLSLINGER, ROBOTEC, JMAC00 AND GIBS' SON and CHUCKCRJ, many of them holding lofty positions here on this site. So you know you are getting the business from the best of them!

ARP is a more powerful version of the much tamer and less insightful AOP (some say it stands for ask our pros) section near the top of the menu,( located for ease of access, probably) that is for novices and homeowners.

Again. Welcome to the site!

I found out today they hired another applicant over me and they would keep me on stand-by in case thing don't work out.

Keep looking. Persistance will pay off. Plus, you can go to the new guys house and flatten his tires every morning so he is late for work and gets fired.

Too funny...LOL