Standard split, high velocity, or ductless...

My wife & I bought a 60 year old house back in November with no AC. The first HVAC improvement is replacing the ancient boiler with a new one (installing next week). I am going to install AC soon but am undecided on what type of system I should go with. I have a full unfinished basement & walk up attic. I was going to go the ductless route but am now leaning toward the high velocity. When I talked to the guys at the shop, they were split 3 ways almost dead even. So my question is what would you put in & why? I am going to be cooling 3 bedrooms + living/dining rooms & kitchen. Just want some outside perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony3696 View Post
    My wife & I bought a 60 year old house back in November with no AC. The first HVAC improvement is replacing the ancient boiler with a new one (installing next week). I am going to install AC soon but am undecided on what type of system I should go with. I have a full unfinished basement & walk up attic. I was going to go the ductless route but am now leaning toward the high velocity. When I talked to the guys at the shop, they were split 3 ways almost dead even. So my question is what would you put in & why? I am going to be cooling 3 bedrooms + living/dining rooms & kitchen. Just want some outside perspective.
    Alot depends on the size of the home and the lay-out. I've done one system in the attic for the whole house. I've done 2 systems in larger home with high and low velocity systems. I've mixed it up with one low and one high pressure system because room limitations.

Personally, I don't care for the ductless route look. There is no way my wife would tolerate a "box" on every wall.

We've always used conventional ducts. Remember, cold air falls so you don't need many runs on the 1st floor to cool it. Can drop a few through 2nd floor closets. Return in the 2nd floor ceiling as the hot air will rise. High velocity is expensive stuff and kills SEER.

Let's see a before & after of your boiler job!

It's a single floor house. Will do on the before & after shots. I currently have an American Standard oil boiler converted to natural gas....AKA - the CO bomb. I worked out a deal with a local scrapper, He's going to haul it away & the old oil tank for free, he just wants the 150 gallons of oil left in it. As far as I can tell it's about 15 year old oil. I will be handing him my card on the way out. (yes, I warned him not to use it)

That is a good deal!

Single floor I'd certainly go conventional duct. You can get high SEER variable speed for less than a SEER killer HV.

Conventional, even with a drain pan and oveflow switch, I know I'd rather have somthing that can produce so much water in my basement.