Allegiance 15 Heat Pump A/H Match-Up and SEER

I'll be contacting the only American Standard Comfort Care dealer in my area for a quote on Monday. Doing some research at the A/S website so as to be well informed when the guy shows up.

Don't want to get into sizing issues AGAIN in this thread, or duct issues, or a discussion of return sizing, air balancing, Manual J or any of that. I get it and all that will be considered before I sign a contract. Thanks for all the help in other threads of mine. Also, I have Trane quotes on the "top of the line, dual compressor" XL20i, which I expect would be a bit higher than the equivalent A/S "top of the line".

What I need to know for now is this:

1) Is the following the correct match-up for the Gold XI, 3.5 ton condenser with a Gold XI evaporater with a standard blower, and what is the rated SEER for this equipment?

4A6H5042E
    GAM5A0B42M31SA

2) is the following the correct match-up for the Gold XI, 3.5 ton condenser with a Gold XM evaporater with a variable speed blower, and what is the rated SEER for this equipment?

4A6H5042E
    TAM4A0B42S31SA

3) Will the following thermostat work with either of the above combinations, and will this thermostat control humidity with one or both of the above cond/evap/blower combinations?

ACONT803

Thanks in advance!

#1 gets 15.25 SEER 12.50 EER and 9 HSPF

#2 is a waste of money. The TAM4 isn't a high efficiency blower (except 5 ton) so only 14.25 SEER, 11.50 EER and 8.50 HSPF. Spend the extra on the GAM5 fixed speed or TAM7 variable speed. With that heat pump, the TAM7 gets 15.50, 12.50 and 8.50.

The 803 overcools if the humidity is high. If you want to "dehumidify on demand" with the TAM7, look for a Vision Pro IAQ, Prestige IAQ or similar models from Emerson or Aprilaire.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    #1 gets 15.25 SEER 12.50 EER and 9 HSPF

#2 is a waste of money. The TAM4 isn't a high efficiency blower (except 5 ton) so only 14.25 SEER, 11.50 EER and 8.50 HSPF. Spend the extra on the GAM5 fixed speed or TAM7 variable speed. With that heat pump, the TAM7 gets 15.50, 12.50 and 8.50.

The 803 overcools if the humidity is high. If you want to "dehumidify on demand" with the TAM7, look for a Vision Pro IAQ, Prestige IAQ or similar models from Emerson or Aprilaire.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll scratch combination 2 off my list. Since I'm looking for a good, inexpensive, option to the top of the line, I think I'll ask for a quote on combination 1 to compare with "top of the line".

So long as the 803 will overcool to control humidity with combination 1 equipment, I'm OK with that!

You ARE saying the 803 will control humidity with combination 1, aren't you?

Or you can get the tam 8 with the xl950 thermostat

The 803 will overcool if too humid with any air handler.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Or you can get the tam 8 with the xl950 thermostat
    That would be "top of the line", and included in the comparative quote. I'm looking for a simpler, less expensive, "adequte" alternative to "top of the line".

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 803 will overcool if too humid with any air handler.
    Wonderful! That's what I was hoping.

If you do go TAM7, I'd still upgrade the control to one that does true dehumidify on demand. There's a Vision Pro 8321 model that has it, a brand new Aprilaire too. With the GAM5, the 803 will have to do.