Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    low medium or high 6 figures???????????????

ofcourse cost of living may be higher than kansas??????????

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    well rounded guys who can do varied work usually earn the most in their respective path. my heavy commercial guys who do chillers, boilers, vfd's and the like never make under six figures.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

I agree with zw17 above. About the order of profitability. From the techs view, the large process chillers inspire more loyalty in customers and more pay for the tech. But many times, the margin doesn't justify the risk that the contractor is taking. If I screw up and destroy a 200000 rotor, the company has taken a lot of risk and put much faith in me, only for the chance to make a 15-20% margin.

BAS is a money maker, but technically it's outside of HVACR. Engineered service is also a big money generator. I think commercial refrigeration service in supermakets is the lowest money generator. The supermarket chains tell the contractor how much they can charge them!

The Chemical Plants are the same way. They allow 10-20% parts markup. One major one even requires copies of your supply house reciepts, and then they negotiate the rates well below street rates. Since the number of us who do these machines is dwindling, and the number of us who will put up with their crap is small, I scratch my head as to why they still line up for the abuse. Most even demand that we leave our phones at the gate, which creates a problem for me because my phone is the way my other customers get a hold of me.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

and dont forget!
    most of them also buy their own refrigerant!

we do not do supermarkets but big chiller work is not what it used to be for contractor!

Quote Originally Posted by OpenDrive View Post
    The Chemical Plants are the same way. They allow 10-20% parts markup. One major one even requires copies of your supply house reciepts, and then they negotiate the rates well below street rates. Since the number of us who do these machines is dwindling, and the number of us who will put up with their crap is small, I scratch my head as to why they still line up for the abuse. Most even demand that we leave our phones at the gate, which creates a problem for me because my phone is the way my other customers get a hold of me.

All high paying UA market shops are probably well over $100/Hr. bill out, but supermarkets want to only be charged at $80/Hr. on a national average!

I've worked as a Residential HVAC Technician when I first entered this industry, and I didnt make very much. Now I work as an Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration Technician and make above $36.00 an hour. So I'd say in order. Residential HVAC Tech ($) > Light Commercial / Commercial HVAC Technician ($$) > Industrial Ammonia Technician ($$$). That's about right.

I'm not a contractor, I am an employee that works at a Food Distribution Plant and I run their Ammonia Refrigerated System, I dont go from job to job. I work 50+ hours a week plus the occasional call in. So the $100/hour or the $80/hour like mentioned above, I'm not sure how much of the $100 or $80 the Technician gets paid and how much of that goes towards cost of materials, the actually contracting company or anything else, but at the end of each week I bring home a solid $1,400+ depending on call-ins. I hope that this helps to answer your question.

Thanks,
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    well rounded guys who can do varied work usually earn the most in their respective path. my heavy commercial guys who do chillers, boilers, vfd's and the like never make under six figures.
    I've worked in the Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration Field my whole life. I've had a Boiler Operator's License, RETA CIRO License, and have worked on Chillers for many years and I dont make 6 figures. Wish I knew where to go to make 6 figures though.

you must not pay very much tax where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Nh3 Refrigeration Tech View Post
    I've worked as a Residential HVAC Technician when I first entered this industry, and I didnt make very much. Now I work as an Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration Technician and make above $36.00 an hour. So I'd say in order. Residential HVAC Tech ($) > Light Commercial / Commercial HVAC Technician ($$) > Industrial Ammonia Technician ($$$). That's about right.

I'm not a contractor, I am an employee that works at a Food Distribution Plant and I run their Ammonia Refrigerated System, I dont go from job to job. I work 50+ hours a week plus the occasional call in. So the $100/hour or the $80/hour like mentioned above, I'm not sure how much of the $100 or $80 the Technician gets paid and how much of that goes towards cost of materials, the actually contracting company or anything else, but at the end of each week I bring home a solid $1,400+ depending on call-ins. I hope that this helps to answer your question.

Thanks,
    -Chris

by the numbers you gave you should be making $102,960.00
    which should not be bad in florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Nh3 Refrigeration Tech View Post
    I've worked in the Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration Field my whole life. I've had a Boiler Operator's License, RETA CIRO License, and have worked on Chillers for many years and I dont make 6 figures. Wish I knew where to go to make 6 figures though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123