Thread: Issues with new Hyperion Air Handler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Issues with new Hyperion Air Handler

I just got a new 2 ton Trane system for our upstairs. The air handler is a Hyperion (GAF2 series). I have a few issues I'd like to run past the pro's for comments. This system in a vertical installation in a walk in attic and has a strip heater installed.

1.) This system is louder than the old contraction grade Carrier system it replaced. Seems to be moving more air and/or the air is more turbulent and causing more noise.

2.) When the system turns on, the contactor (relay) is really loud. Sounds like someone is closing and latching one of the doors upstairs. When my wife heard it she thought someone was actually upstairs.

3.) It leaks a considerable about of air around the middle door that covers the coil. Specifically around the point where the condensation drain exits.

The build quality of both the inside and outside units seems very good, but I'm not happy that the system is louder than lesser quality system is replaced. The loud contactor is probably the most annoying, but the added "air noise" isn't too pleasant either. The air leak could obviously be fixed with some foam and tape, but it would sure look cheesy to put foil tape on a system that tries to look so good (not the end of the world I know).

From reading the installation guide, looks like the unit ships from the factory with the fan motor set up on tap 2 (medium speed). My thought was to lower the fan speed, but I read in the installation manual that you're not supposed to do this if the unit has a heater installed. Is this correct? Any chance the installer would have set it up for tap 3?

Any advice would be appreciated. Are there any service bulletins on the contactors? From reading other threads it seems there are some on the door leaks.

Thanks,

Post Likes
    With no model numbers, or pictures of the installation, it is kinda hard to give any advice on the matter.

Post Likes
    Model Number is GAF2A0A24S21SA

View from inside attic
    Name:  air_handler_1.jpg
Views: 7329
Size:  53.6 KB

Duct work to top of bonus room
    Name:  air_handler_2.jpg
Views: 4361
Size:  46.6 KB

Return Grill
    Name:  air_handler_3.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  18.6 KB

View of bottom of unit inside return
    Name:  air_handler_4.jpg
Views: 4336
Size:  220.1 KB

Post Likes
    Hope I embedded the pictures correctly. My new account apparently doesn't allow me to view pictures (or it's pilot error on my part).

Thanks for looking at this guys.

ETA: I'm wondering about that last picture. The opening in the return box looks kind of small. It is as it was cut for the prior handler.

Post Likes
    X2
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    The installer obviously never has to service units, and/or hates service techs....
    The return opening is a problem.
    The whole return setup looks like it was designed to transmit and amplify as much mechanical and air noise as possible.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The installer obviously never has to service units, and/or hates service techs....
    The return opening is a problem.
    The whole return setup looks like it was designed to transmit and amplify as much mechanical and air noise as possible.
    It certainly is doing a bang up job of amplifying and transmitting sound as you say. What can I suggest to improve the situation?

Should the installer be able to open up the return hole with the handler installer (without mangling it up) or does the handler need to come off first?

It seems to me like that small hole and the way the air has to turn to the left and right to enter is probably making higher velocity and highly turbulent air and therefore noise?

Any thoughts on the loud contactor?

Post Likes
    Your return Is a the problem. Is that unit on a cardboard box?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    Your return Is a the problem. Is that unit on a cardboard box?

It's a box made out of 1/4" OSB with a 2x4 frame. There is styrofoam sheathing glued to the outside (attic side) of the box, something I did years ago to help with cooling bills (helped a little). It's what the builder's HVAC contractor put in. Wasn't exactly thrilled with it myself, but in terms of noise it didn't create any issues with the original Carrier system that was installed for 11 years.

Post Likes
    Ask the dealer to replace the contactor with a RLY2807. This is a solid state time delay relay available through his part supplier. That will eliminate the contactor noise.

Post Likes

noise

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-30-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Post Likes
    looks like they have a metal pan in bottom of box, with float switch in it. GAF/TAM/GAM was not the best air handler for this set up. Minimum fan speed depends on heater kit size, and not much you can do about air leakage if doors are on correctly with out taping, as this unit pressurizes the cabinet. There was a Trane service bulletin about ways to dampen noise in vertical/closet setups. besides the opening size, talk to contractor about putting in a plastic overflow pan and some type of insulation (although i dislike fiberglass on inside of ducting) maybe styrofoam eggcrate padding or some such on inside of return box to cut down on noise.

Post Likes
    There is a sound deadening kit listed in the catalog for those air handlers, but I have no idea what it actually is.

Post Likes
    Return is too small, your installed should be able to pull the blower/fan assembly and cut a bigger hole underneath.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    j-bill

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Post Likes

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-11-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: non AOP Member

Post Likes

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-11-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    gibhvac

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by capecool View Post
    Ask the dealer to replace the contactor with a RLY2807. This is a solid state time delay relay available through his part supplier. That will eliminate the contactor noise.
    This. We install them everytime on this model. In fact, our distributor just includes the relay when you buy the unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in