Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    close, but no cigar. that assumes a deck to deck of ten feet, where most were looser to thirteen to accomodate mechanicals, I am told. would be a wee bit more, likely enough to drill your teeth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    close, but no cigar. that assumes a deck to deck of ten feet, where most were looser to thirteen to accomodate mechanicals, I am told. would be a wee bit more, likely enough to drill your teeth anyway.
    Ok, 110 floors, 13ft from deck to deck.

619psi.

It would probably hurt your gums.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

capitol power plant feeding capitol hill has 12 6k yorks running around 2 36"lines on a five mile loop. the old coal boilers quit burning coal when sen byrd died,, interesting set up from the old days,,

Quote Originally Posted by partime59 View Post
    capitol power plant feeding capitol hill has 12 6k yorks running around 2 36"lines on a five mile loop. the old coal boilers quit burning coal when sen byrd died,, interesting set up from the old days,,
    Are they still using the cooling towers that can be seen from the freeway? Steam still being used?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Most class a offices towers seem to use electric heat strips these days. Are there any newer office properties, which have a boiler heating plant??? Any examples would be appreciated!!

Location: Houston Texas, Texas Medical Center. It is operated by TECO, it is a central cooling, steam and emergency power generation plant serving the Texas Medical Center I believe they are over 49,000 tons combined tonnage. There are 2 60 inch chill water supply lines leaving the main plant serving a lrge prtion of the Texas Medical Center. TECO has another plant serving other portions of the medical center.
    Saddle Up!

I thought I'd submit this plant for the group to explore - not only is it impressive, especially since it's use is pivotal to the population of an entire manmade island, but it is, i must say, one of the best LOOKING chiller plants I've ever seen (pictures of). Qatar Cool on The Pearl, Qatar.
    google map: http://maps.google.com/?q=25.3722,51.552679
    Name:  dc1_main.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  45.9 KB
    Name:  dc2_main.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  45.9 KB

23 PAIRS of 2500 ton chillers (I believe the run the pairs in series), resulting in 125,000 nominal tons of cooling. If I'm ever in that part of the world, I've GOT to figure out a way to arrange a tour of this masterpiece... The plant has it's own desalination plant just for the tower make-up water...

when i was really new to ac i was doing a residential ac maintenance. i was talking to this homeowners neighbor explaining how stuff worked and stuff. i got the feeling he knew a little bit more than he was telling me. after some prying questions he told me he was an engineer. he also told me he had a role in the design of the trade center cooling plant. I dont know if he was for real but nonetheless kinda cool.

Boeing has 90 wheels!

KU has 23

KC trigen had two 9,000tr york titans

KU MED had 9 wheels.

Biggest one i ever tore down was 1600tr.

Smallest was a 90 tr sidewinder!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Did the old towers have 1 plant for both?

Mark Beiser saw the main chilled water plant for Indy's district cooling. I forgot what all he said was in there. The system has 2 more elsewhere.
    I missed that tour by just a few hours...was on a plane flying into Indy when the tour went down. Sure wish I could have made it in earlier!

My plant (660 tons) definitely won't count as large among the big boys I've seen and heard about, but it's my baby and can run with the best of 'em!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123