Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New AK900 with clamps

Hi all. I just got my EPA Universal and decided to reward my hard work with a new AK900 . I also decided to mod the temp sensors with clamps which I think came out nice. Haven't tried it yet and I'm hoping it will work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by abcando View Post
    Hi all. I just got my EPA Universal and decided to reward my hard work with a new AK900 . I also decided to mod the temp sensors with clamps which I think came out nice. Haven't tried it yet and I'm hoping it will work just fine.

Congrats!! I like it! Where did you get the clamps, what brand are they, what did you use to make the curve for the sensor part, and how did you mount the cruved part for the sensor to the clamp?

I think that's how they come. They wouldn't work in my world but seem pretty cool . . Although different from what I've ever used .... Hey op you should reinforce those wires with a length of heat shrink once you start the mod

Thanks! I actually took a few pics when I was doing it in case anyone will be interested. The curved parts are 3/4" pvc which I think is just the right size to use. It would be a little small for 3/4" suction line but will still clamp good. For a 3/8" liquid line, the 1/2" pvc might be better but I opted to use the same size since I can adjust the inside using more layers of velcro.

I didn't have to do anything to the wires and sensors other than cut the velcro to attach to the clamps and I'm wondering which part of the wires would need reinforcement.

The rest of the velcro was used on the clamps, which needed a few layers for the liquid line. I had to use one with a sticky back to attach to the pvc first though.

Btw, the clamps are the Irwin quick-grips which HD sells for $17 a pair.

I would say it was a very easy mod to do. Let me know if you have any questions with the clamp build.

Wow i didn't realize you made them. Hell i thought that 1st pic was a before pic of what you had received from them. looks really good.

That's awesome man...I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine...but can you clamp onto smaller tubing? It looks like your clamps will only close so far.

Thanks guys! I believe Digicool doesn't have or sell the clamps for the AK900 yet if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    That's awesome man...I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine...but can you clamp onto smaller tubing? It looks like your clamps will only close so far.
    I haven't tried it on an actual unit yet but I tried it on a 1/4" tube and it seems to hold good. Adding layers of velcro to it makes it tighter. You can use a grinder to shave some of the pvc or like I said, you can also try a smaller 1/2" size.

Should have used spring clamps.

I made one like that and the ratcheting action of that type clamp will over tighten and cause your jaws to break.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Should have used spring clamps.

I made one like that and the ratcheting action of that type clamp will over tighten and cause your jaws to break.
    You must have used a crappy one when you made it. You can control the slightest movement easily on this one by pressing the lever, over tightening can never happen. I don't like the spring clamps myself, I would have used that otherwise.

great mod! Been really wanting the AK900's (Still waiting to see if the Paradigm manifold happens) and will be doing this for sure.

Just purchased a clamp type with the old type breakable wire and a better type roundy rubber with stretch velcro = both from Trutech Tools.
    Sending the clamp back, but the small sensor with stretch has a much nicer cord.
    luck dan

I've used the clamps a few times and they work really nice imo. They grip the tubing good, not so tight nor so loose. Really depends on how tight you want it. Bought the pouch to protect them from damage when not in use. I'd like to take care of my tools.

Same exact little bag set i bought & i use that one also for my ak. initially i kept the original sensors & connector in there. since i switched to clamps just my connector, pt chart just in case. I'm thinking about popping a little hole in the right corner & loosely fitting a zip tie to keep it on the back of the manifold as i keep it connected on high side fitting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast