Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    Aren't they supposed to have "whole house" knowledge in the neighborhoods they service?

It is VERY difficult to diagnose a problem that doesn't exist when I am on site.

Here's the premise -

In the spring, homeowner smells a foul odor in the rooms above the utility space in the basement, and at the top of the basement stairs, Has no idea what it is, but fears potentially dangerous combustible fumes (i.e., "gas") coming from somewhere and getting into the ventilation system. Homeowner calls the gas company... they check for gas leaks, find none and leave... this "smell" is not the gas company's problem. Homeowner calls the HVAC service tech... they check for freon leaks, find none and leave...this "smell" is not the HVAC contractor's problem. Homeowner sniffs around the sinks, toilets and showers in the house and doesn't smell anything, so doesn't call a plumber.

Homeowner lives with the odor for another month and it goes away once the A/C is turned on... forgets about it until the smell comes back the following spring. Homeowner complains to neighbor about smell and describes how gas company couldn't find a leak, HVAC company couldn't find a leak, so what the hell is it?

Neighbor suggests dry p-trap in floor drain in basement equipment room and recommends pouring water into the drain. Problem solved, but neighbor is pissed as to why neither the gas company or the HVAC company suggested that. Aren't they supposed to have "whole house" knowledge in the neighborhoods they service?

Like I said... not my problem anymore. I live in Florida now and we don't have basements or floor drains.
    My point, is that the customer should have described the smell. If the customer would have described the smell, any tech would have known it was not a natural gas leak.

Call a plumber, tell him you have a gas leak. He'll look for a open trap, or a gas line.

Call a heating guy, tell him you have a gas leak. He'll look for a gas line, or a broken flue pipe.

Call a mechanic, tell him you have a gas leak. He'll look at your car's gas tank.

Call a painter, he'll think you've got an open can of paint remover.

See where I'm going with this?

Calling something "gas", can be a number of things, although the companies you called, should have asked you about the smell, and pointed you in the correct trade, if not themselves.

Because the problem wasn't solved, I assumed that the homeowner wasn't availible to describe the smell, since anytime a homeowner is availible, they talk your head off.

There is no one that can master the trade of an entire house. "Handymen" try it, and it doesn't work out to great. Same with home inspectors.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    There is no one that can master the trade of an entire house. "Handymen" try it, and it doesn't work out to great. Same with home inspectors.
    Whatever. Just seems to me "specialization" sometimes goes too far and overrides "common sense", which is too often lacking in young folks who are the product of today's "teach to the test" educational system. Just MHO, no response required!

Whatever. Just seems to me "specialization" sometimes goes too far and overrides "common sense", which is too often lacking in young folks who are the product of today's "teach to the test" educational system. Just MHO, no response required!
    You've refered to me as young in a previous post.
    I'd hope that wasn't pointed in my direction.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    You've refered to me as young in a previous post.
    I'd hope that wasn't pointed in my direction.
    No, not pointing to you, or anyone else in this discussion forum. Speaking in generalities only.

I apologize if I offended anyone here. That was NOT my intent! I'd love to be young again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12