Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wifi thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Pic:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e...012205DF5D.PNG

Rh, not wet bulb.
    Week now (see pic) but allows XML download. Hopefully they'll improve charting flexibility. Annual overlays would be really cool!
    Thank you. Going to do our first one with a dedicated dehumidifier. Have been using the Redlink Honeywells with these set ups, but like you, I like historical data (graphs).

Ok folks, don't beat up on me for this question. Truly I have been online since Compuserve and the BBS garbage so I am not computer dense. That said I have no need for a smart phone. I use my cell ONLY to make outgoing calls. The question I have is should a client ask me to install one of these thermostats, what would I need to do on my end to set it up for them after installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    Ok folks, don't beat up on me for this question. Truly I have been online since Compuserve and the BBS garbage so I am not computer dense. That said I have no need for a smart phone. I use my cell ONLY to make outgoing calls. The question I have is should a client ask me to install one of these thermostats, what would I need to do on my end to set it up for them after installation?
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Stats set up very easy. All you need to get on line is their router username and password. They can do that part themselves. Write down the registration code the stat comes back with, log on at a computer and enter it, go back to the stat and acknowledge and you are done.

Bit convoluted having to confirm at the stat. Means taking a notebook if you are installing on rental properties - you'll make multiple trips if you don't have computer access.

Default is .5f deadband. I moved mine to 2f. Unfortunately those settings have to be done at the thermostat.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Ok so basically me and the client deal with it at his computer together. No doubt any customer who wants one will probably be savvy enough to get it going when I am there with him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Stats set up very easy. All you need to get on line is their router username and password. They can do that part themselves. Write down the registration code the stat comes back with, log on at a computer and enter it, go back to the stat and acknowledge and you are done.

Bit convoluted having to confirm at the stat. Means taking a notebook if you are installing on rental properties - you'll make multiple trips if you don't have computer access.

Default is .5f deadband. I moved mine to 2f. Unfortunately those settings have to be done at the thermostat.

I was surprised at how easy it was. My prior experience was setting up a Infinity SAM's - Those were bitc#$.

My business partner ran the wire and had everything connected to both furnaces in an hour. Nice to have new wires. (Nice to have fan control for heat only. I played running the fan on sunny days to rebalance the rooms. Fan goes on, watch temp drop. Fan off, watch rise. Calling me a dork doesn't hurt my feelings.)

Again, only frustrating part is setting up the account on-line and finding out you have to go back to the GD house. It's not clearly explained that you will need to be at the stat AFTER logging on with the stat "Registration Code" to complete setting the account up.
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

I've started an album of chart screenshots from my Ecobee portal. Look what can be learned by tracking how a home and it's equipment interact with each other and the environment.

This thing tracks indoor, outdoor temps, run time, and RH.

Each vertical red line represents up to 5 minutes of run time.
    Green line is indoor temp
    Black is outdoor temp.
    Dotted red is set temp

Really interesting to see cycle time and impact.
    Name:  ecobee%u00252B%2Bweb%2Binterface%2B-%2BGoogle%2BChrome%2B10132012%2B105220%2BPM.bmp.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  32.9 KB
    Last edited by tedkidd; 10-25-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    I had a horrific experience with "Control 4". I was using dual fuel with a ground source GEO heat pump and 2 stg. gas furnace.
    I install these control 4 thermostats for a high end home audio company. I have run into some nightmares, but the complete control 4 system is awesome. Actually its a complete home automation system which you control everything from the a/c's, lighting, open/close blinds, unlock/lock doors, tvs, audio and so much more from your phone or computer. I have the control 4 system in my house as well. http://www.control4.com/
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

How about this new one coming out in late November? Does not need Red Link is a solo on it's own 900 MEGAHERTZ smart phone capable etc.
    Model # TH8320WF1029

Name:  HONEY WELL  # TH8320WF1029.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  141.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by valentyn View Post
    they're crap. anyone can buy them and install them. You can buy them at Lowes

Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    How about this new one coming out in late November? Does not need Red Link is a solo on it's own 900 MEGAHERTZ smart phone capable etc.
    Model # TH8320WF1029

Name:  HONEY WELL  # TH8320WF1029.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  141.4 KB

Installed this stat in my home this afternoon. Easy set up, no frills wifi stat that is priced right.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

I will look forward to switching to redlink from honeywell, as soon as they work out the kinks. We had honeywell stat training at work and we had the sales staff lost with the zoning questions. They will figure it out and when they do it won't be free.

Quote Originally Posted by tim79 View Post
    I will look forward to switching to redlink from honeywell, as soon as they work out the kinks. We had honeywell stat training at work and we had the sales staff lost with the zoning questions. They will figure it out and when they do it won't be free.
    My experience with the RedLink is that you are controlling the t-stats individually, and the stats communicating with the zone board. Every stat is addressed and communicates with the gateway, which relays info to and from the RedLink website. It's just like walking up to the thermostat and making a change. The current limitations in the system only allow you to alter temperature, heat/cool, and fan mode; and monitor temperature and humidity.

Individual thermostats are grouped and sub-grouped together for remote access, so you can set it up by buildings and zones. A client with 3 houses/businesses with three zones each could would log in and select a property, then a zone, and make the changes.

Setup is pretty easy. Probably idiot proof. So far the only problem I've encountered is that if the gateway loses its connection it doesn't always automatically restore, and requires a manual reset- computer lingo for unplugging it and plugging it back in. If you're attempting to change the set-points at your vacant beach house in Maui from your condo in NYC that isn't necessarily going to be possible.

Soon I hope they'll integrate the other Honeywell security products into the system for a total home approach. As it is now I'm only aware of the thermostat controls.

Data logging? Or just "right now" information?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast