I'll keep my home warranty - is extended P&L worth the extra $ on new install?

I have the ORHP home warranty that covers all appliances, plumbing, electrical, A/C, heat, etc. I pay the annual premium and if something breaks, I only have to pay my deductible ($75) for repairs, no matter what it costs them. I've used them for years on a number of homes, they've done a great job and I've gotten more than my money's worth.

Since I have no intention on cancelling my ORHP warranty, why should I add another 10% on to the cost of a new A/C system to get 10 years of labor coverage over and above the standard 1 or 2 year labor and 10 or 12 year parts warranty that comes with the new equipment?

Amortizing the cost of the extended warranty over 10 years, it would cost me MORE than what I'd pay for a deductible if it broke down once a year, every year.

Convince me whether I should get the warranty or forget it, please.

if you are happy with the home warranty company then don't buy the extended warranty, it would be a waste.

Check your home warranty contract carefully.
    Many of them exclude any coverage, even the labor, on a HVAC system that is in warranty, even if it is just a parts warranty.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Check your home warranty contract carefully.
    Many of them exclude any coverage, even the labor, on a HVAC system that is in warranty, even if it is just a parts warranty.
    I did not know that. I will check. Thanks!

OK, here's what it says:

1) General Limitations. This Plan does not cover:
    F. Equipment or component costs covered by an existing manufacturer/distributor/
    or other warranty.

and

2) General Exclusions:
    C. We reserve the right to repair systems and appliances with non-original
    manufacturer’s parts, including rebuilt or refurbished parts.

So.... I guess they could refuse to work on the system if they found out it was under warranty. Or, they might work on it and install non-OEM parts that would void the mfg warranty. Anyway, something for me to consider.