Very simple digi-cool sensor mod
I've seen a lot of sensor mods on this site but most aren't for me, require special tools, more purchases, require skills I don't posses or compromise the warranty. So I set out to do the simplest mod I could with the best results.
Goals: maintain the integrity of the sensors so they can be sent back if they fail.
No modification to the head itself.
Under $20 in materials.
My ak900 came with the stretch Velcro sensors that seem well made and durable but after 2 weeks I don't like the velcro application and want to go back to a clamp, I noticed that the thermistor is imbedded in what looks like one jaw of a clamp, so I went hunting in the hardware stores. Here's my digi-cool ak900 clamp conversion.
This is basically the finished product except I didn't have any small zip ties, they'll go where the white and green bread ties are but I wanted to show the effect.
Final price= $15.00 for clamps, zero for zip ties I have at work.
Total time= 10 minutes, not counting trip to the store for clamps.
I'll post a final cleaned up version with zip ties and Irwin decals cleaned off. You could also opt to cut off the extra bar that you don't need to keep it from sticking out as far.
Here's picks of it clamped to a standard pencil, just over 1/4" o.d. and a flashlight, 1-1/4" o.d. The clamp can be slid closed easily then tightened down. Push small lever to release, has plenty of power and clearance to clamp onto pipes from 1/4"-2".
That works great and is cheap to do. When I get my digi cools I will have to do it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Shooter’s Committee on Political Education
The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.
Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY
Nice mod mason. We almost have the same set up. My AK900 sensors came with the regular velcro though so I decided to use pvc pipe to make it work better. It has been working great so far and I agree that the mod is very cheap to do.
Thanks, yours are looking very clean. When I get a chance I'm hoping to clean off the decals and do some painting. I was looking at max pipe size and it looks like 2" before it hits the bar, might end up cutting off the extra bar that's not needed. These clamps seem very solid but even if they break it's super cheap to replace. I'm guessing dc will release some clamps soon but I think I'm set.
Originally Posted by abcando
I also thought the bar was too long and can be an issue when used in tight spaces, that's why I cut it shorter.
Ok used the set-up for awhile and found an area to improve. The rubber mold that holds the sensor is lacking support in the top half causing to 'roll' back and lose grip on sone pipes, I was thinking of how to reinforce this area when I noticed some brazing rod next to the unit I was working on. Not the prettiest fix but it's really improved the clamp effectiveness.
By letting the rod extend out on the bottom you can secure it to the frame with a zip tie, now when the mold tries to roll back it is held with counter pressure from the rod through the frame. I'm sure there is a way to beautify this set up but it's practical and has ben a nice improvement over the Velcro, definitely not going back to Velcro.
I made this one for my 1100 before Digicool had any clamps.Heated a 7/8" copper pipe and melted the jaws to conform to it. Glued the sensor on and have been using it since. You need to let the clamp mass get to temperature and wrap the jaws with a rag or pipe wrap to stop any outside temperature interference. The ones that Digicool have now with the rubber feet stop that.