Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hello from western NY!

Hello all you craaazy HVACR diehards!

Just checking in to say hi and introduce myself...I am J-thetechwizard. I love technology and all it's cool uses but I hate computers and smart phones!...go figure???

I joined today because there is a great feeling of shared knowledge being spread all over the forum and I wanted to be apart of it. I can't offer much at this time except a "hoo raaa...I hear ya bro" but I will be trying to keep up!

When I figure out this forum site, I will submit a picture of my "basement project" which is a custom "hydronic heat scavenging system" or as some will call a heat purge cycle or something similar. its a neat little 24v system based on digital timing relays(programmable) that time down and purge hot water through the baseboards after the boiler shuts down.

I know..some of you are saying "new boilers already have that" , yes but I didn't know that at the time because I don't get a chance to install new boilers much, in fact I came up with this system while trying to fall asleep during a very, very long layoff period.

So I try to give myself credit where credit is due just for having the same idea!!

Thats it for now, i will be checking in to try to offer some help or just to see progress on existing issues as they come up.

Thanks

Welcome!

Welcome. Good to see another one us from WNY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Thanks qwerty...we'll keep in touch here, I like this!
    BTW...I whole heartedly agree with your signature...we are just lucky that home depot hasn't started selling HVAC equipment yet to home owners or we would be worse off than we are now!

Its bad enough that every HO is now a DIY electrician..."Oh yeah, I m an electrician, I bought some romex and a few boxes and switches at the HD and put it in myself"...what were they thinking!

LOL..LOL

J-thetechwizard

Welcome Im originally from Albion/Rochester Area. Im currently in Florida working for an AC company. If I were to leave here and go back to WNY what would the workforce as a tech be like there? obviously there are some differences here I do AC 99% of the time up there I would prolly do heating. but what are the summers like? is it busy in the winter like it is busy here in the summer time. how is the pay there?
    ®

Bro, don't you dare even think about coming back here!!
    Your best bet is to keep doing what your doing there...maybe check in with the local pipe fitters union and try to get a commercial service tech job with Johnson controls or something...keep thinking bigger!

Out here its open window weather most of the season, if it does get hot, which it does lately, a window unit calms people down for a few months because they know in sept. the pools close up and it cools down a lot.

Buffalo gets pretty busy in the summer and winter but all the shops are locked up. I just interviewed with a local company, we had a nice talk but in the end he doesn't have an immediate position for me, and its the same everywhere!

If you did get a job, and you have 10+ years in the field, you'd be lucky to get $20/hr and thats saying alot.

thats why I am currently on the books with the sheet metal workers union...I may get laid off for a year at a time but when I do work, its $25+/hr guaranteed, then if I work into foreman, its almost $28.

like I said, if your bored, look into a different branch of hvac like controls or union service or sheetmetal workers, but don't come back here unless you don't have a choice.

J-thetechwizard

Quote Originally Posted by J-thetechwizard View Post
    Bro, don't you dare even think about coming back here!!
    Your best bet is to keep doing what your doing there...maybe check in with the local pipe fitters union and try to get a commercial service tech job with Johnson controls or something...keep thinking bigger!

Out here its open window weather most of the season, if it does get hot, which it does lately, a window unit calms people down for a few months because they know in sept. the pools close up and it cools down a lot.

Buffalo gets pretty busy in the summer and winter but all the shops are locked up. I just interviewed with a local company, we had a nice talk but in the end he doesn't have an immediate position for me, and its the same everywhere!

If you did get a job, and you have 10+ years in the field, you'd be lucky to get $20/hr and thats saying alot.

thats why I am currently on the books with the sheet metal workers union...I may get laid off for a year at a time but when I do work, its $25+/hr guaranteed, then if I work into foreman, its almost $28.

like I said, if your bored, look into a different branch of hvac like controls or union service or sheetmetal workers, but don't come back here unless you don't have a choice.

J-thetechwizard
    What shop are working for now? I know we don't have many service jobs in 71. You have to go to 22 for them.

I wish I could get into PF 22!....maybe pick up a sweet controls gig with Johnson Controls, but for now I'm awaiting work at Fredonia state for Sheet Metal workers#112 out of Jamestown/Elmira. Thats what I get for living down here! BOO-HISS!

Get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership.

hey tech wizard i'm new to the site and am with local 22 they are really hurting for commercial tech if no one is on the bench you can apply to the union companies directly and they can hire you through the back door because you have experience pay is not the same but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by ptrizzo View Post
    hey tech wizard i'm new to the site and am with local 22 they are really hurting for commercial tech if no one is on the bench you can apply to the union companies directly and they can hire you through the back door because you have experience pay is not the same but still good.
    Hey ptrizzo, how many techs are they looking for? I heard Mollenberg needs some. Just wondering if any other company's are looking.

i know mollenberg and dvb brown not sure how many just here alot of talk that they are looking. It doesn't hurt to send in a resume and you will be in the union if they hire you but under the national pension plan.

So are these journeyman positions with full union pension and bennies or are they mes positions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast