Great Contractor ...questionable products

I have used a local contractor for furnace/AC repair a couple of times over the past year or two. They are excellent as far as quick response and professionalism. But now I have decided to replace my 25 yr old Tempstar (quit laughing). Their suggestion is to install a Goodman unit ? I have not found anywhere in cyber world telling me that that is a good idea ? I think they could probably supply a different companies system ...but I'm sure it will be more expensive and that's ok as long as it's a good quality unit. Any suggestions or comments about what I need ? I have a 1470 sq ft 2 story home, if that helps ?

Quote Originally Posted by parkbear1 View Post
    I have used a local contractor for furnace/AC repair a couple of times over the past year or two. They are excellent as far as quick response and professionalism. But now I have decided to replace my 25 yr old Tempstar (quit laughing). Their suggestion is to install a Goodman unit ? I have not found anywhere in cyber world telling me that that is a good idea ? I think they could probably supply a different companies system ...but I'm sure it will be more expensive and that's ok as long as it's a good quality unit. Any suggestions or comments about what I need ? I have a 1470 sq ft 2 story home, if that helps ?
    Nothing wrong with Goodman.

Goodman is the #1 selling residential brand of equipment in the United States with over 26% market share. You will be hard pressed to find a better value out there. It is also important to go with the contractor's recommendation. You said they were professional right? They aren't going to be interested in soiling their rep by putting in crappy equipment. Truth is, all the factories do a pretty good job making it.

Dollar for dollar, not bad equipment. Remember, it's more about how it's installed and by who, not so much what brand.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I feel comfortable with Goodman products as well. Its really more about design and install practices. Goodman is good middle of the road brand. The problem was with dealers selling to anyone and the install quality as well as reputation went down.

Ask your contractor for a detailed quote with suggestions on keeping the system running for another 25 years. He may need to make duct modifications or other changes. Come back and talk to us with his suggestions and we will try to help more.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Think about your Tempstar and it running for 25 years without having millions of dollars of marketing to convince you that it is a good product.

It is all about the quality and integrity standards that the dealer sets for themselves that is important.

No matter the manufacturer of the product, they all fight the same battle. That battle is the one where someone other than the factory installs the equipment. That said, it should become clear that a good quality installation is a paramount requirement. It all begins with a proper ACCA Manual 'J' load analysis to properly determine the size of the equipment needed. Even an excellent service company will often cut a corner and eliminate that important step. Once the size of the furnace is determined, then the duct system needs to be inspected for any needed rejuvenation or size issues. It's entirely possible that the new furnace will move more air than your old furnace and so duct considerations to keep noise at a minimum are important. The duct considerations cannot be determined without a load analysis. If the proper procedures for equipment selection and installation are all followed, then the manufacturer of the equipment is much less important. Goodman makes a good middle of the road product. Their downfall, if it can be called that, is that they sell to every person who claims to be an HVAC installer and the end result is a lot of sub-standard installations with a lot of problems. When sized and installed properly, Goodman furnaces last as long as any other, IMO. The don't bring the same depth of features and benefits of the more mainstream manufacturers and that is why you'll find up-scale company's representing Bryant, Carrier, Trane to name a few.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Sell a unit cheap and to anyone with green, you can have a good marketshare! At one point we had 4 Goodman distributors in town! 1 would sell to anyone with an EPA card.

If you are comfortable with the dealer and he does a great job and doesn't oversize, you should do fine with Goodman. If you'd like a higher end product, ask if he sells anything else. Rare to find a dealer selling 1 brand these days.

Kinda resent Skip's reference to "upscale companies" selling other brands. We intentionally quit a "big brand" company due to poor service and questionable product quality. We sell some Goodman, and recommend the Amana line due to top warranty coverage but as mentioned the BIG thing is the installation. If this company has been giving you good service, don't worry about brand of products as there is very little difference in brand quality. Most pricing difference is due to advertising and marketing. IMO anyway. As far as I know, Goodman won't send a dealer to Hawaii for selling over-priced products! (Ouch, sorry if I stepped on a few toes!)

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Sell a unit cheap and to anyone with green, you can have a good marketshare! .
    You bet! and I can take you to a supply house about 2 miles from me, that this guy has bought 2 acres of property, and built a nice huge warehouse on it doing just this. Lady called us the other day and ask if we would install a 7.5 ton compressor in her club, she has the compressor and freon (R-22) guess were she bought it? I buy there about 5 times a year only for convenience, but it was nice of him to refer us for the compressor install, yes we turned her down, guess I should have at least seen what she looked like.....
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Kinda resent Skip's reference to "upscale companies" selling other brands. We intentionally quit a "big brand" company due to poor service and questionable product quality. We sell some Goodman, and recommend the Amana line due to top warranty coverage but as mentioned the BIG thing is the installation. If this company has been giving you good service, don't worry about brand of products as there is very little difference in brand quality. Most pricing difference is due to advertising and marketing. IMO anyway. As far as I know, Goodman won't send a dealer to Hawaii for selling over-priced products! (Ouch, sorry if I stepped on a few toes!)
    Did not mean to offend you, wahoo or anyone for that matter. But we sold Goodman for a while and could never get the 2-stage HP's and had a hard time getting multi-stage, V/S furnaces. All the local distributors stocked primarily 1-stage, PSC furnaces and 13-SEER AC and HP's. Our company sells comfort and our philosophy is to offer a good cross section of features and benefits to all our customers. We like to give them the opportunity to refuse an offering, rather than just dictating a lower cost product because that's all we can get! Hence my comment. As I stated, there is no reason to not use Goodman products if they're sized and installed properly. But I don't believe Goodman provides the features and benefits of Trane, Carrier or even the York top line equipment. And if they have the products, their distributors are dropping the ball, at least in our area.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I agree that Goodman/Amana may not "push" the variable speed/multi stage equipment at their local supply outlets (we buy direct thru their dist. centers), however in their defense they stock on hand the models most likely to be sold (IMO anyway), and it seems to work based on their market share. Based on my figures the multi stage/variable speed units when coupled with a manufacturer's proprietary control system is VERY hard to justify based on ANY KIND of ROI and once out of warranty they are VERY expensive to repair. Goodman/Amana also has developed their own proprietary specialized control system with variable speed/variable input/ wireless technology based controls. Years ago we were a Lennox dealer when they jumped into the Smart house zoned technology. Just because a company developes it, does not mean it'll work properly, or they'll stand behind the problems when they develope! And sadly sometimes they simply abandon the system all together and we're stuck with the unhappy customers!! Being on the "cutting edge" of new technology sometimes is not the most comfortable place to be.

Around here, most Goodman dealers aren't the biggies, they are 1 & 2 man shops, looking to Goodman for low price. If that's the case in other areas, the GDI outlet probably stocks single stage basic units to satisfy them. Smart thing to do would be educate the dealers into how to talk to customers about something besides price & cheap equipment... and that goes for all distributors! ARS peddles Amana around here and they do push the upper end.