Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This may help understand what would be needed for the AS/Trane zoning setup.
    It is from the American Standard catalog, but it is all exactly the same as Trane, just substitute a "T" for the "A" in the first letter of some of the part numbers.
    http://markbeiser.com/HVAC/documents...ortcontrol.pdf
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Actually I was looking for info on how the furnace operates. It will stage down, unlike Lennox.

The most economical thing for the OP to do is ask for a TZ432 be installed. Have it set up with % of zones calling so it didn't ask for full blast until say 2 of the zones were calling. Also the TZ432 will monitor the supply and stage down if the air gets too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Actually I was looking for info on how the furnace operates. It will stage down, unlike Lennox.
    Yeap, in 24v control mode it will behave similarly to a regular 2 stage furnace.

The most economical thing for the OP to do is ask for a TZ432 be installed. Have it set up with % of zones calling so it didn't ask for full blast until say 2 of the zones were calling. Also the TZ432 will monitor the supply and stage down if the air gets too hot.
    That would be my recommendation, as no damper or thermostat changes will need to be made.
    The communicating zoning system is very nice, but also rather pricy.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    That would be my recommendation, as no damper or thermostat changes will need to be made.
    The communicating zoning system is very nice, but also rather pricy.
    All my 3 thermostats are Aprilaire 8463 - one stage heat and one stage heat - are going to be ok with HZ432, or we need a three stage ones as well since the HZ432 is 3 heat and 2 cool?

On the HZ432 - is it possible to stage it like this : 1st stage-40%; 2nd stage - 75% and 3rd stage - 100% and respectively if one zone is calling then 1st stage, two zones calling then - 2nd stage and all three call for heat - then 3rd stage?

Also will the HZ432 regulate the variable speed blower?

I know that it is a lot of questions but I am just trying to understand what is the best and most economical thing to do? You are saying that the Trane zoning will be quite pricey, so I would like to know the best second option.
    Thanks for the link to AS parts - it gives me good idea, too bad there are no prices.

Quote Originally Posted by mirinex View Post
    All my 3 thermostats are Aprilaire 8463 - one stage heat and one stage heat - are going to be ok with HZ432, or we need a three stage ones as well since the HZ432 is 3 heat and 2 cool?
    Your existing thermostats are fine, all they have to do is tell the zone panel that their zone needs heating or cooling. The zone panel will determine what stage of heat to run based on the number of zones calling, and/or time.

On the HZ432 - is it possible to stage it like this : 1st stage-40%; 2nd stage - 75% and 3rd stage - 100% and respectively if one zone is calling then 1st stage, two zones calling then - 2nd stage and all three call for heat - then 3rd stage?
    No, the furnace only has 2 "stages" of heat that can be called for when the furnace is operating in 24v control mode, W1 and W2.
    When only W1 is calling, the furnace will modulate its heating capacity between 40% and 65%, and when both W1 and W2 are calling, it will modulate between 65% and 100%. The capacity modulation will be based on run times.

Also will the HZ432 regulate the variable speed blower?
    It won't directly control the blower speed like the communicating controls do.
    The airflow settings for continuous fan, cooling, and each heating stage can be adjusted via the furnaces user interface.

[QUOTE=mark beiser;14056501]If your current zone dampers only have 2 wires going to them, they are power open/spring return dampers, and will not work with a modulating zone damper control.
    At the very least, the damper actuators would need to be replaced.

Is it possible to switch actuators from MARD dampers (trane modulating dampers) to Honeywell ARD dampers = both are the same size? Just trying to avoid dismantaling the excisting duct work?
    Thanks

Can anyone share any thoughts please? Any sujestions?
    Thanks

Poster

Hi - guys, thanks to all of you that helped. My hvac guy came and installed the hz322 and now the systems works in two stages and it is much better, he also connected the bk wire on the pannel to control the speed on the fan when only one zone is calling, however that doesn't seem to work, does anyone know if any adjustment on the furnace. Reds to be done, so the fan speed is controlled from the pannel instead of HVAC?
    Thanks
    Last edited by mirinex; 09-21-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by mirinex View Post
    he also connected the bk wire on the pannel to control the speed on the fan when only one zone is calling, however that doesn't seem to work, does anyone know if any adjustment on the furnace. Reds to be done, so the fan speed is controlled from the pannel instead of HVAC?
    Thanks
    The BK jumper on the furnace control board has to be cut for it to work.
    With the BK jumper cut, and DS/BK terminal on the zone control wired to the BK terminal on the furnace control board, the airflow through the indoor unit will be reduced by 20% when only one zone is calling in the cooling mode.

It does nothing in the heating mode, and you wouldn't want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The BK jumper on the furnace control board has to be cut for it to work.
    With the BK jumper cut, and DS/BK terminal on the zone control wired to the BK terminal on the furnace control board, the airflow through the indoor unit will be reduced by 20% when only one zone is calling in the cooling mode.

It does nothing in the heating mode, and you wouldn't want it to.
    That sucks, the reason I want that is because one of the zones calls for heat/cool it blasts too much air and it sounds like a hurricane, in all other zones it is ok. Can I do it through the furnace? Meanig in one stage- which is one zone as well - to have reduced air flow?
    Thanks

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

[QUOTE
    It does nothing in the heating mode, and you wouldn't want it to.[/QUOTE]

hi mark I am looking at the manual for the hz322 and it doesn't say anything about cooling only!

How hot is the air coming out of the registers in that one one when only it is calling. The furnace needs to move a min amount no matter how small the zone is, and it may already be at that min level.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast