Thread: New A/C Lines Quoted, but not being Installed

Post Likes

Confused New A/C Lines Quoted, but not being Installed

I am replacing the furnace and A/C in my home. This was precipitated by a leak in my A/C. I needed 3 pounds of freon added a few months ago. Very expensive! Both the furnace and A/C are about 15 years old, so I decided to move forward with having them both replaced.

I got several quotes. Some of the quotes included replacing the A/C lines and some did not. My house provides a lot of installation challenges as the furnace, condenser and hot water tank are all in a little utility closet. The outside part of the A/C is on the other side of the house and the lines run through an attic that is like a crawl space type of attic.

The company that I chose gave a quote that said it included replacing the lines for the air conditioning. Today they began the install. As day 1 of the install came to an end, I asked about the lines being replaced as I could say they had not done this yet. The installers said that their work order said to reuse the existing lines. I showed them that my quote indicated that new lines would be installed. The installers said this would be a very large effort. I believe one of the installers said it would be about 3 days and that the difficulty was because the lines go through a wall to get to the attic. They thought it was a mistake made on the quote. They said that they would test for leaks as they finish the install tomorrow. If it didn't show a leak, they thought it wasn't necessary to replace the lines.

The quote was a very good price compared to the others and this company has a good reputation. The sales person told me they got a great price on the furnace. [Bryant 355CAV]

What should I do? What should the company do?

Post Likes
    Did the salesman do a walk threw of your house and sell you new lines?
    Your new system is it 410A or same as before R22?
    Does your exsisting line set meet the manufactures specs on diameter?

If I was using the same gas and the size of the pipe was right and a PROPER leak test was done I would be OK with it.

If your pipes are wrong size and using a diffrent Gas and where told by sales man and its on quote for new lines .Then why not get what you payed for?

Post Likes
    If the quote said "new lines", I would demand new lines. If you don't, you're a fool.

There could be a joint that could leak later, they could be contaminated which will effect your system at a later date.

You think if they lied about replacing the lines, they'll tell you the truth about the leak test?

we live in a different time in the world, I'm afraid...........look at our president as an example.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your input. FYI, the new A/C uses 410A. I have no idea what the manufacturer specs are.

Post Likes
    I too would demand new lines. If the salesman told you they were a part of the job I'd make sure it gets done. I haven't installed in a while, but I don't ever remember a residential lineset taking 3 days to install even though I've had a few that took darn near all day to get in.

Post Likes
    Same as all the above. The quote/contract specifies new lines so that's what you get. Time to call the salesman and get things straightened out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayToo View Post
    The quote was a very good price compared to the others and this company has a good reputation.
    I bet it did look like a really good price when they were including a line set. Were the others bids including a line set also?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I agree. Some contractors will promise the world but won't deliver. If they said they would change them, they better do so. I would not pay one cent o them until they perform what is on the contract. Everyone here is right, if you are switching from r22 to r410a and the lines can be changed they must. Please speak up and get what your supposed too. You are paying good money for a job that should be done right.

Post Likes
    It takes 3 days to go through a wall? Our hammer drill will do the average brick, block, stone wall in minutes. Even an 8" poured concrete is an hour of hard hammering!

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-23-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Trustco

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    It takes 3 days to go through a wall? Our hammer drill will do the average brick, block, stone wall in minutes. Even an 8" poured concrete is an hour of hard hammering!
    Yes, they drilled through a cinder block and a brick wall to do the venting for the furnace. I think the concern with the A/C lines was going from the ground floor up through the wall to the attic. The attic isn't over the utility room, but starts next to it...split level house.

I just wanted to find out from professionals if it was something you didn't feel was important. But I'm hearing everyone say that I should get it.

Post Likes
    Yes, they drilled through a cinder block and a brick wall to do the venting for the furnace. I think the concern with the A/C lines was going from the ground floor up through the wall to the attic. The attic isn't over the utility room, but starts next to it...split level house.

I just wanted to find out from professionals if it was something you didn't feel was important. But I'm hearing everyone say that I should get it.
    A mistake was likely made on the quote. Although they may agree to running a new line set, since the error was theirs, don't expect it to be pulled along the same route as the old line set. They'd probably have to run it up along the outside of the wall and penetrate through somewhere. This isn't typically cosmetically pleasing. The other option is to flush and re-use the old line set, which is perfectly ok to do when the existing line set size meets spec for the new system, and it doesn't have any leaks. This isn't a free service either, the man hours required and the flushing agent aren't donated to us. We try to cover all the bases all of the time, but in the real world people make mistakes. You should probably discuss this with the owner or salesman rather than with the installers.

Post Likes

If it was in the quote for the jog then they should replace it. It can be run on the exterior inside of molding specifically designed for this type of repair.

I am sure if there was a couple of zeroes left of of the payment check they would be right there demanding the correction.

Post Likes
    well said
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    .You should probably discuss this with the owner or salesman rather than with the installers.
    AMEN!
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in