Control board replacement

Hey, guys. I'm seeking advice on some maintenance that needs to be done on my Carrier furnace. I had a tech out today that informed me that the high/low relay on my control board has gone bad. It is currently stuck in low mode and my AC system is working harder than it should and taking longer to cool. He notices some freezing towards the end of the cooling cycles and that the condenser outside is running harder and noisier than normal. So he recommended a replacement of the control board(Carrier OEM part hk42fz013).

Preferring to do the work myself to save some money, my question is whether or not this is more complicated than simply cutting power to the unit and then taking whatever is plugged into the board currently and plugging it onto the new board. I haven't looked closely at the control board(it is easily accessible) so I don't know if there's anything soldered or not. I don't know how to solder so that's out of my range of capabilities. I'm an IT guy and build my own computers so I figure this is basically like replacing the furnace's motherboard so how hard can it be. But I'm by no means an HVAC tech.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by rewt74 View Post
    Hey, guys. I'm seeking advice on some maintenance that needs to be done on my Carrier furnace. I had a tech out today that informed me that the high/low relay on my control board has gone bad. It is currently stuck in low mode and my AC system is working harder than it should and taking longer to cool. He notices some freezing towards the end of the cooling cycles and that the condenser outside is running harder and noisier than normal. So he recommended a replacement of the control board(Carrier OEM part hk42fz013).

Preferring to do the work myself to save some money, my question is whether or not this is more complicated than simply cutting power to the unit and then taking whatever is plugged into the board currently and plugging it onto the new board. I haven't looked closely at the control board(it is easily accessible) so I don't know if there's anything soldered or not. I don't know how to solder so that's out of my range of capabilities. I'm an IT guy and build my own computers so I figure this is basically like replacing the furnace's motherboard so how hard can it be. But I'm by no means an HVAC tech.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
    Quite simple to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Quite simple to accomplish.
    Okay. Is the procedure as simple as I'm describing where I cut the power, unplug what's plugged into the existing board and plug it into the new board and then restore the power?

Please read the big yellow box at the top of the page. Sorry but the pro's who can post on this forum must follow the no DIY rule too if they wish to remain members.