Question Electronic air filters

I have 4 year old Water Furnace Envision geothermal unit working fine. Using an old Carrier electronic air cleaner from my old previous Carrier geothermal pump. Technician recommended replacing that cleaner with a new one, saying my old air cleaner is not big enough for new Water Furnace unit and this will cause compressor to fail more quickly. In Water Furnace manuel they are just showing screen air filters. Do I really need a $$$$
    electronic air cleaner plus duct work installation to prolong life of my geothermal unit. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-23-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Pricing

EAC

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    EAC's are not so good, if I were you I'd change to a 4-5" media filter rack. Better filtration, no parts to break down and no ozone created from the little sparks flying around.
    Should be cheaper to install as well.
    From what I'm told EAC filters can only reach MERV 8, and most 5" filters are 8 to 16 depending on what you want to spend. General aire makes a good product.
    Thanks, meeting with technician this afternoon. Have researched media filter racks and going to get quote for that installation. EACs info online is very scary with the ozone release, did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    EAC's are not so good, if I were you I'd change to a 4-5" media filter rack. Better filtration, no parts to break down and no ozone created from the little sparks flying around.
    Should be cheaper to install as well.
    From what I'm told EAC filters can only reach MERV 8, and most 5" filters are 8 to 16 depending on what you want to spend. General aire makes a good product.

+1 we have not sold an electronic air cleaner in close to 20 years due to the complaints about the cost of repairing them.
    media filters IMO do a better job than the EAC ever did with nothing to fail.