Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wow, with 12 lbs of r-22 and the labor to do all the work, I think a dry condenser would have been cheaper, and when the head pressure gets real high from such a big section of fins missing the next tube up might burst. Callback waiting to happen, you did that customer a real disservice by jerry rigging it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    Wow, with 12 lbs of r-22 and the labor to do all the work, I think a dry condenser would have been cheaper, and when the head pressure gets real high from such a big section of fins missing the next tube up might burst. Callback waiting to happen, you did that customer a real disservice by jerry rigging it like that.
    With a dry condenser you still would have bought the gas. Did you read the thread? The customer is a friend he was doing a favor for. There was no charge for the labor.

Yeah, a couple hundred bucks in gas or a new 4 ton dry charge? It did develop a leak in the indoor coil after a week of running. Quick check at the supply house netted me a 4 ton r22 expansion valve cased coil for $75. Tossed that on. Probably got $400 in a 4 ton system that will work for a while. Just doing a favor for a good friend.

I would have remove the bottom run from the system and saved the copper!!LOL!!!

Dang, one of these days I'm gunna hafta be teached how to read. Sorry guys I missed the part about it being for a friend.

lol..wow
    RTFM!!!

One of my rental houses started looking like that. But just in one corner. When I washed the coils there is a hole a little larger than a softball of fins missing and about 4 tubes exposed. I did not cover the hole, but thought about it. I did build a little 1x4 board fence around it to keep the dogs away. This was two years ago. No leaks, still works, normal pressures. One day it will fail and I will throw a 13 SEER 410a unit in.

The unit you repaired was 500% worse than the one I dealt with. I would have been afraid to try and sweat new pipe in. The surrounding tubes must be thin!

+1 Good job!

CT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123